Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

GP1200 stalled while riding (Oil line popped off, rebuilding now...))

EDIT: Oil line popped off, this turned out to be a seize...assistance and suggestions appreciated on parts/procedure!

Me and the wife were out again today, we've racked up over 11 hours of riding already this year.

We were out for about an hour, took a causeway tour, picked up some $1.55/Litre gas (, $5.86/Gallon!) at the marina, and then we hopped up and down the lake checking out little islands and sandbars.

We blasted at about 3/4 throttle back to the boat launch and the wife went in and tied up her Polaris and I went out and wrung out my machine a little - did some donuts, did a few launches, tight turns, blah blah...converted some gasoline to adrenaline.

Just as I was winding down and honked on it in a tight turn to head towards the dock it sputtered and slowly died. Immediately I freaked out that it had seized or popped a piston. Hit the starter and it came right back to life...whew - power was fine, all good..for a few seconds, and it died again.

Then the problem started...hit the starter and it barely turned over...slow crank, and then it stopped. Freaking out again still thinking seize..but then I realized that along with the slow crank the MFD was dimming and blanking out on every start attempt, so it wasn't an engine problem, but seemingly a battery/amp issue?

Couldn't start no matter what, so I'm bobbing about and waving to to the wife/kids for a tow. While waiting, I worked the start button and it started to slowly (ever so slowly) crank over..and eventually it fired. Ran it for a few seconds and then took off on plane, and then honked on it and everything perfect. Roared back to the dock with no issues. Shut down, got the trailer in the water, restarted, roared around a little to check things out again, loaded on the trailer, no problem. After pulling out restarted again to clear water from the exhaust, no problem.

So..any idea what the heck happened that caused it to stall out and exhibit these sorts of symptoms?
    Last edited by Oshawapilot; 05-31-2012 at 11:13 PM.

+1
    Sounds like a seize. Dimming display may have been caused by the starter trying to draw more power to crank over the stuck piston. Do a compression check.

+1
    If it was a seize though I would have expected more symptoms immediately afterwards though.

As mentioned once it restarted it was perfectly fine - no power loss, nothing. Restarted beautiful each and every time afterwards including on the trailer when I cleared the exhaust.

I got to thinking - I noticed after the last ride that my battery had come loose since the straps appear as if they've worn out and overstretched. If the battery had flopped around and a cable came loose would it account for this? Will the engine in these skis run with the battery disconnected?

I didn't do much diagnosis When I got home last night as it was late.

+1
    I was thinking a light lean seize and as you floated around, it cooled down and started up. I guess there is only one way to find out...check out those battery connections and maybe do a compression check.

+1
    Went yesterday shortly after posting that and checked out the battery. It was still firmly mounted and cables tight.

What was odd was that when I tried to start it...it started easy after the customary 10 or 15 seconds of cranking but immediately (and persistently) complained about low-voltage after starting. I've cranked it a lot more in the past without this happening.

Battery could just legitimately be low, but I'm leaning towards something electrical going on.

I'lll get it home this weekend and do some more diagnostics.

+1
    Went again this evening and popped the seat...and there was the story staring right back at me - oil line popped off the pump.

So...enogh crying, I'll get it in the garage this weekend and get started. Thankfully we hadn't planned much in the way of riding for a few weeks sonive got until the first weekend In June to get her rebuilt.

Based on what I've posted here what's everyone's thoughts on what I'm going to find? Obviously scored up a piston, but I've been reading that the cylinders are often salvageable with a light hone? I have access to a good machine shop who will do the job on a speedy and good basis for me, so any machine work is easy for me to get accomplished.

I haven't had a chance to get the compression test yet (forgot my tested this morning) so I'm sure it'll tell more of the story store I get the heads off, but in the meantime I'd like everyone's thoughts.

It has about 210 hours on it and ran like an absolute a1 machine before this.

After the first seize (obviously what it was now) I nursed it at low speed back to the dock (probably 2-3 minutes at low rpm) and the started it again to load on the trailer.

It was at relative low rpm when the seize occurred - I was decelerating and unwinding from some fun.

+1
    You'll probably find something like this:

So, you'll need a piston. Depending on what kind of damage you find, you might want to pull the whole engine out, open it up, inspect, and clean out any aluminum.
    Give the machine shop the bore specs and piston clearance specs from the manual, have them measure the bore, and have them let you know if it'll hone out to an acceptable clearance or if you'll need to bore it to the next size.
    If you need to bore one cylinder, you should also bore the other ones to keep everything the same and nice and balanced. But you can get away with boring just one...I wouldn't but you can.

You're best bet for replacement pistons is ProX or OEM. Gaskets should also be OEM, especially the head and cylinder base gasket. You could also choose to use a WaveRaider 1100 exhaust manifold gasket for better engine cooling. You'll also need red Loctite, blue Loctite, and Loctite 572 (which is a white paste thread sealer and low strength thread locker)

+1
    Yeah, hoping I can just hone the one and call it good - I've been reading lots of stories about the cylinders themselves not suffering a lot of carnage in these engines and cleaning up really good - seems the pistons are the sacrificial parts.

I'm getting it home this evening and will get a compression check and the teardown started.

Based on how well it was still running when I loaded it onto the trailer I'm thinking (hoping) I've got minimal damage and it'll clean up with just a basic rebuild on the 1 cylinder.

Fingers crossed.

+1
    Speaking of parts, Yamaha only makes a 5 over piston IIRC, so I was eyeballing SBT for anything bigger if needed - opinions? I looked at Pro-X but it appears shipping to Canada could take weeks as the supplier network isn't great - at least based on what I've read.

I'm guessing the factory gaskets are still available direct from Yamaha?

Is there a all-in-one source for all the parts I'll need that anyone can suggest? Does John Z stock pistons, sleeves, gaskets, etc?

+1
    try and get ahold of phillip_gpr. he might have some pistons laying around and will probly be able to help you out. a great guy.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information