Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX150 only making 6 lbs of boost

I have an msx 150 that is driving me crazy. It runs fine except it will only go around 45 and with a boost gauge teed into the line going to the gate only makes around 6 lbs of boost. No lights are on. I am about to snap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have checked and replaced almost everything.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

Sorry troubles bring you here... but hope we can help.

Are you getting the red warning light on the indicator display? Any other warning lights/icons displayed? What RPM are you reaching?

You could have a boost leak... but I'm also suspect of your boost source where you teed into for your gauge. Did you tee between turbo scroll connection and the wastegate solenoid... or between the solenoid and the wastegate? The most accurate boost source would be the intake manifold past the throttle body so you can see actual boost going in as well as vacuum when the TB is closed. Others have tapped a source right on the intercooler outlet spout but that would only ever show boost. That 6# boost reading has me wondering. That is the amount of boost required to open the wastegate so I'm wondering if that's all you might see teed in where you did... with the ECU purging the rest through the solenoid.

Either way... if you don't have a boost leak... and your actually getting your stock boost levels... 45mph still sounds low for WOT. How do your plugs look? What are your compression readings like?

Cheers!

I went to the line going to the gate. I have looked all over this thing for boost leaks. No red light at all. Havent done a compression test. It starts right up runs fine but just wont run like it used to.

At one point i thought i had it when i found the rubber under the throttle body torn but fixed it and it stills runs the same.

+1
    Did you just install the boost gauge since this problem occurred? Or has it been there and working fine... showing full boost previously to this issue? I'm still not sure about that boost source for a gauge. That line gets vented when the ECU is spooling up the turbo.

Are you running premium fuel? The ECU will pull timing to prevent detonation on regular gas... that would cause a decrease in power... though not sure about such a loss of boost.

Also, it's possible there is a leak inside the intercooler. You might try capping off one outlet and rigging up a way to pressurize the other outlet and see if it holds 20psi.

I'd also consider a compression test for good measure.

Good luck

I will try the other side for boost gauge. I am running sunoco 94 octane.

+1
    maybe the Turbo is worn out, and wont make enough boost?

It could be but i would have thought that it would have been a gradual loss if it was wearing out.

+1
    You might pull the intake to the turbo off... (I'm not sure if you can easily do this in the hull... looks like a tight fit)... and check the turbo shaft for any wobble or side-to-side play. This would point to a worn turbo. Also, when a turbo gets worn/blown... it tends to leak at the shaft seals and put oil into the hoses.

Another thought... could the wastegate solenoid be bad? I'm not sure if it's normally open or closed (one venting the boost, one sending boost to wastegate)... but if it's bad or stuck it could just be sending all boost to wastegate all the time... in which case you wouldn't ever see more than the minimum 6# of boost.

Good luck

update i was teeing into the line from the soldenoid to the gate so if i was seeing 6 lbs there that means the gate was opened right? I put it on the other line coming to the solenoid but it was also only seeing 6 lbs because it was opening the gate. I closed off the line going to the gate and it blew one of the hoses off that wasnt very tight. Question Do the waste gate solenoids go bad?? It seems like it is in an over boost mode but it doesnt throw any lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information