MSX140 Coolant leak

Ok, so I found out that my 04 MSX 140 is taking on water from the cooling system. Riding it with the seat of, and accelerating through half throttle, i am able to see water spraying from what appears to be the exhaust mount just aft of the PTO cylinder. I plan on putting it in the water again here in a few minutes to get a closer look. Anyone seen this before?

When riding it, the water is definitely spraying from the pipe mount. I now have the pipe off, and cant find anything wrong with it, or with the manifold where it mounts up. One item of note is that the pipe had 2 washers between it and the manifold to act as spacers. My other MSX140 has none. I suppose it is possible that water is leaking from the coolant rail above, running down to the pipe mount, and the vibrations are causing it to appear to be spraying from there. Another thing I am confused about is that fact that i can not feel exhaust leaking from the same place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris exhaust.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	272843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polari exhaust1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	272844

Took the paint of the mount area and discovered a small hairline fracture at the point of my leak. I am considering taking it to a machine shop and having it stop drilled and welded. I'm also curious if the washers that were placed between this mount and the manifold caused a strain on the mount that made it fracture like this. The machine is pretty much unmolested, so I'll assume the washers were placed there by the factory for alignment.

Thoughts on repairing the pipe? Maybe better off finding a used one?

Thanks!

+1
    is that the manifold or the pipe

Its the pipe. Sorry for the poor quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msxpipe.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	272859

Decided to drill a hole where I *Think* the end of the crack is. Going to look into having it welded tomorrow. Anyone have a pipe they can part with?

A follow up to this thread: I had the pipe welded, and changed through hull and pump bearings/seals in the process. Took it for a little spin today, and I am still getting a little water in the hull, that I suspect is still leaking from the exhaust pipe. I think the crack is longer than it seems, and is opening up under the stress of being bolted up to the ski. I'm probably better off with a new pipe at this point, but it seems like it should be easily welded.

+1
    The Problem is that at one time the pipe was installed wrong.

There are 2 flat washers that need to be between the manifold and pipe at the rear pipe and manifold mount. Also was not aligned right. Look at the pipe you will see a small crank this needs to be welded and welded by a Pro when they do it the welder will be able to see the crank once he starts welding the crank will show up Big time.

The Micro fiche will show the washers if they are there someone bolted it up wrong and did not go through the right.

I took the pipe back and had it tig welded again. This time he welded it all around the dog ear that it mounts at, and went well beyond where the crack could have gone on either side. It did, in fact have two washers between it and the manifold. Funny thing is that my other MSX140 has nothing there (and it doesn't have a cracked exhaust). I ended up putting a single, thick stainless washer in there when I reinstalled it, which is slightly thinner than the original two washers. Put 2 hours on it yesterday, and so far so good.

Thread Information