+1

Anybody have good suggestions on keeping rear electrical box dry ('96 XP)?

Had the ski out for the first time (Saturday) since buying it in non-running condition in January. Ran great all day. What a blast and nice top speed at WOT. Last ride of the day back to the boat ramp and my brother-in-law barely got the ski started. At home on the trailer, I went to start it to flush the motor and I couldn't get the ski to fire. It would crank but wouldn't fire. I pulled plugs and saw that I had spark but something didn't look right with the spark.

Opened the rear electrical box and it had 1/4" of salty water in the bottom and the lower electrical parts were wet. Left the box open and waited till Sunday afternoon to mess with it again. It fired off with no problem on Sunday.

The seal around the box seems to be in good shape. The screw on seals for the spark plug wires and the battery cables are all in good shape. The top bunch of wires concerns me, though. There really doesn't seem to be anything to seal them as they go into the big rubber boot. On the other hand, I didn't really notice any signs that water had entered from the top of the box . I only noticed the the bottom electrical components were wet.

I'm just asking for ideas on what others have done to keep water out of that box. I'm not planning on having the ski back in the water for about another 10 days so I'd like to try something different to keep the water out.

+1
    Zip tie the top of the boot or put silicone around it. Also silicone the grey plug inside where it attaches to the black top. The seal is a pain to get right, but make sure you do when re-installing the black top and it should click or snap in place on both sides. Also spray the connectors and such with wd-40 to prevent corrosion.

+1
    Thank you for the suggestions, surf. I'll definitely use your advice.

Would putting some grease on the electrical connectors do any good or just make a big mess?

+1
    On the plug type connectors use die electric grease, but the connectors in the box I would just spray with wd-40, fluid film etc.

Thread Information