Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WaveRunner 800 - use to go 59mph but after winterizing it only goes 40mph

I have had waverunners for about 8 years but I am definitely a novice when it comes to troubleshooting or working on them.

I just put my waverunner 800 into the water this weekend after winterizing it and instead of it going the usual 59mph max, it only goes 40mph. Winterizing consisted of new plugs, stabil and fogging oil. Nothing major was done to it. It starts fine and accelerates fine but just doesn't seem to power up to the next level. It is almost like I can go 40mph with the trigger handle about 70% and pushing it down all of the way doesn't do anything more to the motor.

The ski runs fine other than this, no sputtering, no extra smoke, etc.

I'm hoping this is something simple like changing the fuel filter or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

+1
    Is this a GPS speed reading or the dream-o-meter? Check it over for impeller/pump problems, compression check, carb condition, etc. Maybe its time for a carb rebuild.
    What year and model ski is it? A GP800, GPR800, or XLT800?

Sorry, it is a 2002 XLT800. This was the speed from the "dream-o-meter" but I know it is much slower and I kind of ran it next to my dad's boat that I use to fly by so I think 40mph is about right. Would the need for a carb rebuild be something that just pops up between starting the ski at the end of last season and the start of this season? ~thanks

+1
    Possibly if the stabil didn't do it job or didn't make its way up to the carbs and if the gas sitting in the carbs got all gummed up it could clog or restrict fuel. try not to ride wot until you fix it because you could be leaning out. A lean WOT is a quick way to melt down the pistons.

+1
    Have you checked to see if the power valves Are cycling. Sounds like pv not opening.

+1
    ^^^aah good call on that. another possibility

thanks for the info.

Novice question but how would I know if the power valves are cycling? (any links or info you can provide would be great)

Also, what is the fix if they aren't cycling? (easy, medium, hard), (cheap, medium, expensive)?

thanks!

+1
    Pull seat off. Put lanyard on. Hit start button while watching pv linkage at carbs. Watch the round wheel that the 2 cables go to. If pv motor is working it will cycle and u will see the linkage move back and forth before starting You can also hear the pv motor. If they are not cycling it's usually just the Motor bad but check the connections first. Post what it does

Thanks I'll let you know

Ok so the pv turns about a quarter turn when starting and idling. After I cut the motor it will turn about another quarter turn. It shouldn't be constantly turning at idle should it? Just noticed that at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle it goes 6000 rpms and does the same at wot.

should I take it out of the water and run it wot on the hose to see if the pv starts spinning or something?

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information