Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris sl 650 initial carb tune help

Hello all! I am just about ready to install my rebuilt 659 in my Polaris. I bought it new and have just about completed a full restoration. I need some detailed help re: firing it up for the first time and getting it tuned. About 4 years ago I burned the PTO piston and haven't had the time to fix it! I have deleted the oil injection and plan on an initial mix of 32 to 1. The book says 1/4 out re: the lows and 7/8, 3/8, 5/8 turn out on the Mag/center/PTO respectively on the highs. I do not want to fry another piston! I burnt the first one because the oil line split and dumped the oil all over the hull...needless to say, none went in the carbs!!!! Do the recommended initial settings apply for pre-mix as well or do I need to compensate some how! I have a pretty detailed explanation of how to go thru the tuning procedures once it's running, but my fear is having it too lean when it starts and frying it out of the gate! ANY suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    1. Have you removed the autocock per Polaris service Bulletin?

2. Did you do the recommended fuel sytem upgrades?

3. What year 650 do you have?

4. You are usually safe to use an additional 1/8 turn out on the highs and lows when going with premix.

5. Did you do an air leak test after the rebuild?

Yes re: autocock. I have a new 3 port fuel pump that is yet to arrive. I have a October/1993. It had no in-line fuel restrictor after the carbs. I have yet to do the leak test, but I will before trying to re-install! Compression is even at 140 per/ All new gaskets Completely dirt/crud free...in and out. Mag has been checked and it 100% per specs. Oil block-off done. New reeds. cylinders honed. New rings. 1 new piston. All bearings good. Leak test is next on list because my carb kits won't be here til med week.

+1
    I was / am still nervous about a melt down. I always take my plug wrench and wash light to the lake and regularly check as I go....

+1
    LT, pay attention to your fuel lines including those inside the tank, your fuel pick up retainer, (plastic one will crack, get an aluminum one) and your petcock too as part of the upgrade.

1993 SL 650

Main jet 77.5

Pilot jet 77.5

Hi speed screws MAG 7/8 CEN 3/8 PTO 5/8

Low screws 1/4 turn

idle in water 1300 RPM

Pop off pressure 10-18 PSI

Please keep in mind that turns are from a LIGHTLY seated position, OUT

The hi speed screws are mounted near the top of the carb (or high up) and the lows are near the bottom (or low on the carb)

OK...I just did my leak test and all went well. Held 10 lbs for 15 minutes so I figured that was good enough. I had a little problem at first but I had not put on the oil block. I must admit that my heart raced a little when it wouldn't build pressure! My carb kits should be here tomorrow, so I plan on finishing the carbs and mounting them. I have 20' of new fuel lines en route from Dave Smith at High Octane Fuel Line. I asked specifically if the lines were rated for in-tank and he said no problem. After the carbs are on I plan on putting it back in and continuing from there. If all goes to plan, it should be as good or better than when I bought it new. I'm really looking forward to taken some of the younger Grandkids out fo the first time. It's not one of the new monsters, but it goes plenty fast to have fun! Thanx to everyone for your help and comments! I'll be posting more as I go!

+1
    Good luck lt.

Xlint89, Would you have the specs (high speed) settings for a 95 650, or show me where they could be found?
    I appreciate your postings here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebago210 View Post
    Xlint89, Would you have the specs (high speed) settings for a 95 650, or show me where they could be found?
    I appreciate your postings here.
    Main Jet = 87.5
    Pilot = 77.5 or 82.5 for STD model
    HS = 1-1/8M | 1/4C | 7/8P
    LS = 1
    POP = 10-18 psi

+1
    There you go ^^^ Thanks Loonatik

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information