Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help 2004 RXP steering cable install and need a service manual

So first off I am new to this forum and really hope this is the right place to ask. The steering cable in our RXP is pretty well seized you can get it to move but its hard. We(me and my dad) are going to try to replace it ourselves but we need to know what we are getting into first. So Can someone walk me through it step by step? Also I am used to working on dirtbikes(06 yz 250f and 06 ktm 250f) were anything and everything you need to know is in the service manual is there any for a 2004 seadoo RXP?

The local marina wanted to charge us close 1000 dollars plus however much the cable was (they said it would be like 500 I found it for 100) So we are doing it our selves.

Thanks for any help you can give.

+1
    You can find a service manual on ebay. less than 10 bucks all day. it's not that hard of a job

Quote Originally Posted by antleo View Post

The local marina wanted to charge us close 1000 dollars plus however much the cable was (they said it would be like 500 I found it for 100) So we are doing it our selves.

Thanks for any help you can give.

$1000 to change the steering cable and that doesnt include the cable?!?!?!!? I hope you told them to get F%&ked!

I bought my cable new from here in greenhulk for $165 and installed it myself. Its not hard. Just pull the 4 nuts off from around the base of the steering column and you'll see where it connects when you turn it left and right. Then unscrew the hardware from the pump area and go from there. Dont lose the small black plastic parts that will fall out when you remove from pump area. Just a couple of pieces...you'll see how they will transfer to the new cable. I bought a new OEM cable (not aftermarket) in order to make sure nothing would be much different to the new cable.

ya we arnt going back to that marina. I think ill be ok if its just mounted in those 2 places as i know a few tricks for running cables.

I pulled a couple of parts and the big plastic seat frame to make it a bunch more easy/possible

+1
    The local marina wanted to charge us close 1000 dollars plus however much the cable was (they said it would be like 500 I found it for 100).
    HOLY $HIT!!!! Man I have to start doing local repairs...at least to make some fuel money

I know its insane.

Is there anything else holding the cable in besides whats at the top of it and at the bottom of it? if not i should have no problems

antleo, if it`s possible to send manual as an email attachment, PM me your email address and I`ll see it it will go thru...

+1
    I know its insane.

Is there anything else holding the cable in besides whats at the top of it and at the bottom of it? if not i should have no problems

there are 2 bolts that hold it to the adjustment housing and one that connects it to the steering assembly....at the transom you will have a plastic nut that holds it to the pump shoe with 2 plastic clips along with the seals..I recommend replaceing the nut and seals while you have it apart..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    there are 2 bolts that hold it to the adjustment housing and one that connects it to the steering assembly....at the transom you will have a plastic nut that holds it to the pump shoe with 2 plastic clips along with the seals..I recommend replaceing the nut and seals while you have it apart..
    With a billet nut on the pump side

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information