Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200r with riva stage II and head work, no spark

Hey everyone, new to the sport and greenhulk but looks like the place to be for great info for PWC's

Last year I picked up an 01 gp1200r with just over 100 hours on it (currently has 126), always ran in fresh water so the guy said. He had the dealer install the Riva stage II kit and man does this thing fly... Ran it about a dozen times last year and had zero issues. Went to the lake Sunday for the first time this year and rode for about 3 hours with zero issues. Came back to the dock to load up and while the wife was idling around waiting for the person in front of us to pull in and out (took the person 14 times to get the empty trailer in the water) the warning light came on, it beeped and the ski shut off. Now she doesn't recall seeing any icons or anything on the dash and immediately hit the reset and it stopped blinking and beeping but wouldn't fire back up. To make a long story short, i threw it on the trailer, strapped it down, took it home and did some quick checks. Found out I have no spark. Went inside for the night and came back out the next morning to mess with it and for the hell of it i hit the start button and it started right up for a quick second but then died again. Checked for spark once more and again I didn't have any. Now I read that it could be a number of things from searching all weekend till now and two of them being the water temp sensor and the exhaust temp sensor. Looking at the factory manual and being that it has the riva stage two, i dont see any exhaust temp sensor in the exhaust pipe, at least where the factory manual shows it to be but the plug is still plugged in at the electrical box. I did not check however anything with the water temp sensor. Also read that it could be a bad battery, not giving enough power to light the coil but will still turn over fine, or the lanyard/kill switch. I removed the kill switch to see if there was any corrosion or anything noticeable in the casing with the wires but found nothing that looks suspicious. Worst case scenario I read that it could be the stator which I will really be upset to have to replace due to the cost of it and tight space I'm dealing with.
    what do you think is wrong. I know nothing about these things let alone whats been eliminated since the addition of the riva kit. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and not scared to rip stuff apart but I get a little leery when I dont know what exactly I'm working on or with.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'd really like to get it out this weekend cause its going to be a scorcher.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a bad water temp. sensor.

man i hope its that simple. In this case i'll just do the resistor mod so its fooled.

quick update:
    just talked to the ol lady and made her try to remember specifically what happened. Now shes saying that it just died, no beeping, no warning light, just shut off as it would have if you pulled the lanyard. The beeping she heard was the two beeps or however many it makes when you try and start it.

check the plug connection on the lower sensor. I found the connector on the plug burnt causing about the same issue.

So I get home this afternoon and on my way I picked up some resistors to try and make the chip for the lower sensor. I pulled the seat off and to my surprise, both the exhaust temp sensor and the lower water temp sensor plugs at the electrical box are not plugged into anything. I removed the battery box and could see where the water temp sensor screws into the stinger pipe. Well whoever installed the mods, all they did was clip the wires off the sensor and left it screwed into the stinger. Ok, fine, then I looked at the exhaust sensor plug and there was no aftermarket chip installed. I have no idea if there ever was one but I couldn't imagine it coming unplugged by itself. I ran my hand around the bottom of the hull trying to feel if anything was laying in there but didn't have any luck.
    Now what?
    I pulled the wires out of the water temp plug at the electrical box and stuck a resistor in there just to see what would happen and nothing happened. Now I have it all back together and I'm back to the drawing board. It has to be something else because it ran perfect all last year. I'm at a loss guys.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by churb View Post
    So I get home this afternoon and on my way I picked up some resistors to try and make the chip for the lower sensor. I pulled the seat off and to my surprise, both the exhaust temp sensor and the lower water temp sensor plugs at the electrical box are not plugged into anything. I removed the battery box and could see where the water temp sensor screws into the stinger pipe. Well whoever installed the mods, all they did was clip the wires off the sensor and left it screwed into the stinger. Ok, fine, then I looked at the exhaust sensor plug and there was no aftermarket chip installed. I have no idea if there ever was one but I couldn't imagine it coming unplugged by itself. I ran my hand around the bottom of the hull trying to feel if anything was laying in there but didn't have any luck.
    Now what?
    I pulled the wires out of the water temp plug at the electrical box and stuck a resistor in there just to see what would happen and nothing happened. Now I have it all back together and I'm back to the drawing board. It has to be something else because it ran perfect all last year. I'm at a loss guys.
    If both of them were unplugged and the ski still ran that means most likely you have a advent ignition, Remove the electrical box and take the rear cover out and if the module inside says advent on it. Then most likely you do not have spark because the advent went out.

Oh that's sounds cheap. If its the advent, is there anyway to go about testing it? And if its bad, where could I get a used one at because I REALLY dont want to spend 650 bucks on one.
    Thanks Jim, I'll check to see what I have tomorrow.

+1
    My gp800 one day just quit and lost spark and ended up being the stator.I ended up pulling the loom off and noticed the black ground wire odd looking in a few spots and stripped the insulation in a few spots and noticed it was getting corroded allover.I just ended up replacing the stator and she fired right up but I also added a ground from the electerical box to the battery since this wire for the stator is the only ground source the box has.

I had two Yamaha 350 warrior quads do that exact thing. Ended up finding aftermarket replacements from a company called Ricky Stator for 1/2 the cost of one from Yamaha. Unfortunately he doesn't make them for the waverunners. I ran out of daylight last evening but when 5 oclock hits i'm going straight home and opening up the electrical box to see if I have that Advent ignition or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information