Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 XLT 1200 running issues

Recently bought an 02 XLT 1200 and have had issues with it in the water from the beginning. It will start up fairly easily with the choke on and will idle ok in or out of the water. In the water is will run to about 4500rpm at max or will run at ~4500 and then suddenly get a burst of power for several seconds. Either way, it dies after a minute or two of running and will not restart unless I remove the lanyard for between several seconds and several minutes. If I just try and restart it without removing the lanyard the display will say "start" on the display but not crank.
    I had replaced the battery and plugs when I bought it before taking it out the first time. If I were dealing with a car and these symptoms I would be looking for an electrical issue, but on a wave runner I am still pretty green.
    Any input on this is much appreciated.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 28cmod View Post
    Recently bought an 02 XLT 1200 and have had issues with it in the water from the beginning. It will start up fairly easily with the choke on and will idle ok in or out of the water. In the water is will run to about 4500rpm at max or will run at ~4500 and then suddenly get a burst of power for several seconds. Either way, it dies after a minute or two of running and will not restart unless I remove the lanyard for between several seconds and several minutes. If I just try and restart it without removing the lanyard the display will say "start" on the display but not crank.
    I had replaced the battery and plugs when I bought it before taking it out the first time. If I were dealing with a car and these symptoms I would be looking for an electrical issue, but on a wave runner I am still pretty green.
    Any input on this is much appreciated.
    Sounds like the engine is seizing up and shutting off, Do a compression test and see were you are at because at wot you should be around 7000 rpm and you are only at 4500 rpm sounds like you may have a dead cylinder. Also look on the bottom of the hull for signs of oil another common thing is for oil lines to come out and cause the engine to seize up.

Make sure your power valves are opening and closing properly. They may be sticking. I've read that water sometimes can get in the stator and when it heats up and evaporates it will cause the ski to cut out. Definitely check the compression first though. I have a small probe magnet that i use to stick down in the cylinders to check for shavings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diznasty View Post
    Make sure your power valves are opening and closing properly. They may be sticking.
    Is there an easy way to test this?
    I will check this and do a compression test and see what that yields. I was hoping for something cheap

#1 - do they cycle after you hit the starter. you should see and hear this while you are checking the compression.
    #2 - remove the servo cables and turn it by hand. If they dont move then they could have a ton of carbon build up and need cleaned.

Well the compression test showed what I was afraid of. Cylinders 1 and 3 make 111, 115. Cyl 2 moves the needle but it isn't a measurable amount.
    At this point do I need to pull the motor and dig deeper? What are the most likely culprits? I'm gonna do this myself and am taking on something new to me. I'm mechanically inclined so I am hoping with the online resources I can muck through whatever needs to be done.
    Looks like getting the exhaust out of the way is going to suck in a big way.

lol after you do it 5 or 6 times its real easy. the hard part is getting the rear section back in. Might want to check the oil lines when you are in there and put steel clips in to make sure they dont fall off. this would be a good time to put in a d-plate as well.

D Plate is on the list. Planning on starting on this today instead of heading to the lake.Any tips or gotchas I should watch out for?
    Also worth noting, spoke to the previous owner. #2 had seized up on him previously resulting in a top end rebuild. I need to start digging into what iscausing the repeated failure. Looking for input on that for sure.

I would rebuild all 3 carbs now as well. Make sure u use genuine Mikuni rebuild kits or send them out to Oside Bill.

Finally popped the motor out today. All kinds of fun stuff. The oil line for #2 had come off, the piston is pitted and torn to shit, the cylinder walls are scored pretty bad.
    It looks like there has been previous damage that had not been addressed during the last "rebuild". The #2 piston, cylinder and power valve had all been replaced.
    The head is marked up on all cylinders, and piston 1 has some minor damage. The #1 power valve has lightly contacted the piston at some point.

So it looks like I need a cylinder, a power valve and two pistons. Probably should go ahead and replace the head too I guess. Are there any seals I have to replace while doing this?

Also, there is a lot of residue in the water jacket around just cylinder 2. Is this due to the lack of oil?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information