Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Trouble Re-Starting Ski - SL700 1997

I had a friend of a friend contact me this weekend about his Polaris. I didnt know the model but im assuming its a older one. He said it will start and run but after a bit it just shuts off OR sometimes it runs and when restarting it wont restart. He claims it has to sit for a while and then it will start. My first thought is the carbs are leaking and its running too rich, killing the motor and then it wont start as its flooded. He then said no, it looses all power and nothing runs and told me his mechanic that works on boats says it must be something electrical. Im going over there wed to take a look but was hoping someone had some thoughts on what to look for. Would a bad coil do this?

I was thinking bad ground wire if no power at all. Leaking carbs if it runs and then stops but ill know more when I see it.
    Last edited by K447; 06-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    I had a friend of a friend contact me this weekend about his Polaris. I didnt know the model but im assuming its a older one. He said it will start and run but after a bit it just shuts off OR sometimes it runs and when restarting it wont restart. He claims it has to sit for a while and then it will start. My first thought is the carbs are leaking and its running too rich, killing the motor and then it wont start as its flooded. He then said no, it looses all power and nothing runs and told me his mechanic that works on boats says it must be something electrical. Im going over there wed to take a look but was hoping someone had some thoughts on what to look for. Would a bad coil do this?

I was thinking bad ground wire if no power at all. Leaking carbs if it runs and then stops but ill know more when I see it.
    It seems like the typical culprit for this type of behavior is the stator - they will begin to fail when heated up on some skis. Model and year are important to the diagnosis........

+1
    Ill know more on wed. but will try and narrow down the problem and report back. Can the stator be replaced with the motor still in the ski (most models)??

+1
    On the blue colored Fuji engines... it can be replaced in the hull... but it's a nightmare. You have to pull the fuel tank, oil tank and come at it from the front through the storage bin hatch. No fun at all. Plus getting the freaking flywheel off is a serious chore. Takes a puller (I've used loaners from auto part store) and serious torque (plus heat helps) on the two I've ever tried.

I hope for your sake that's not the problem. Typical problems for older skis are fueling issues... weak fuel pumps... dirty carbs... dirty filters... deteriorating fuel lines.

Good luck!

It really matters what model it is.

If it's a domestic, it really sounds like the warm-restart TSB that can be fixed in 10 minutes with a simple jumper.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    It really matters what model it is.

If it's a domestic, it really sounds like the warm-restart TSB that can be fixed in 10 minutes with a simple jumper.
    Well I found out the model is a SL700- 1997.............What is that function and what would I be looking for?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the info linked from my signature below. That should help get you oriented.

There are two different versions of the ignition system for the 1997 red engines; original and updated. Figure out which you have and go from there.

+1
    Well I took a look at it and after some looking, The ski would run fine at WOT on the water but the low speed it would die. He said he would have to open the throttle up all the way and sometimes it would restart. It seems the only thing wrong is the fuel system ( dirty carbs ), old gas and while im in there will be replacing the fuel lines. He said the gas guage does not work, so if he finds a new sending unit for the tank, I will change that out too while im in there.

+1
    OK, yesterday I rebuilt the carbs ( they were dirty but not too bad but had never been rebuilt) and replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the fuel filter and added a inline filter before the carbs. The owner got a new sealed battery that was at full charge. We went to start it and all it did was make a clicking sound in the e box. Nothing else would happen. We tried a few more times and nothing. I pulled the plugs to make sure the engine was not frozen and still nothing. Motor turns free by hand. Put the plugs back in and hit the start button and the engine turned over. Got the ski running and finally got the idle set and it seems to run fine on the trailer and throttles just fine. I restarted it a few more times and it cranked right up. After putting up the tools I hit the start button again and the issue started again- just clicking from the E box. I tried a few more times and the it started cranking after about the 4th try. What issue can be causing this?

Check your starter solenoid inside the ebox. Mine did the same thing. Replaced that and works great.

You might want to see if you can jumper across the two post to see if thats the problem. Or just try to clean it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information