Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Moron

Newbie Moron

Hey Guys, I'm new and I need some help (never heard that before I'm sure). So here is the deal, I have a '97 SLTX, it started up just fine last year. I didn't get to take it to the lake at all last year due to my awesome work schedule. It was stored in a warm shop throughout the winter. I am determined to take it out this year and after buying a new battery yesterday I proceeded to do something borderline retarded, I actually wasn't paying close attention and hooked up the battery terminals backwards(it was dark but at least I didn't try to start it). So did I F up the entire electrical system or just the expensive part? I have tried to get it going (it turns over) but it appears to have no spark after pulling a plug. Thoughts, ideas, general hazing welcome.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! We were all Newbie Morons once, some of us are now seasoned morons.....

I am sure someone who has experience with your ski will chime in soon.....

Thanks, just need some direction. Don't want to make things worse.

+1
    I managed to do that on a fuji (blue motor), didnt try to start it, mfd tipped me off (didnt work). connected the leads properly and everything is fine MFD motor ect.
    Mine was fine. , I know a guy named Ron More. Guess what they called him in school?

+1
    Been there... done that... last year actually... on my wife's Kawi standup SX650. I stupidly hooked up the battery backwards. The starter even worked (but it wouldn't even try to start) but sounded different... it was spinning backwards is my guess. After about 5 minutes... I realized my mistake. Freaked out I just fried something electrical, but hooked it up right and it runs fine.

I've not done it on a Polaris and am not familiar with the Red domestic engines. Are there any fuses in the electric brain box (like there are on the Fuji blue engines)? If so, check them first. Hopefully there was a safety fuse there somewhere to prevent damage. This *has* to be a planned safety for all PWC by the manufacturers... it's just so easy to do.

Good luck!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Unfortunately I did do that before, and it DID kill the stator and the CDI. My BRAND NEW updated CDI and stator......

I don't know for sure if the non-updated parts would be destroyed or not, but I'm 99% sure they would.

Might want to look into the updated ignition kit

Or contact this guy

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177211

+1
    I dont feel quite as dumb as I did Xlint, Im in good company. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Unfortunately I did do that before, and it DID kill the stator and the CDI. My BRAND NEW updated CDI and stator......

I don't know for sure if the non-updated parts would be destroyed or not, but I'm 99% sure they would.

Might want to look into the updated ignition kit

Or contact this guy

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177211

Is a new stator & CDI easy to hook up? I tried to find on the magical internet the updated ignition kit but I really have no idea where the best place is to buy one. Suggestions?

+1
    i have a 97 stator & cdi.open to offers.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    I dont feel quite as dumb as I did Xlint, Im in good company. I have no idea what I was thinking.
    I think you're OK with the Fuji's, but the domestics with the PVL ignition are super sensitive. Seem to be the Achilles heal for the domestics as the fuel system is on the Fuji's.

Jake the new stator needs to be installed behind the flywheel, and the CDI is just a swap in the elec box.

Guys like Sharp's marine or Watcon can order the kit for you, or you can see about getting one from places like Partspitstop.com, partsland.com, or someone even posted a site that had them really cheap recently. And then raised the price soon after he posted about it.

rr44red is parting out a SLTX, if you want to go that route and save a few $$$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information