94 xp flywheel cover gasket and removal

I bought a pair of sea doo xp's last fall. One is a 96 800 and the other is a 94 and I believe its a 650. Both of them needed new starters. The 94s starter was rusted tight. The guy had the flywheel cover held on by 1 bolt and a bunch of JB weld. So, I need to know how hard it is to take the back side of the cover off so I can clean it all off and retap a few holes. Also, where can I get a new gasket? I don't know of any good OEM parts stores for the older sea doos at all. Thanks in advance.

I use bikebandit.com for oem parts if they are absolutely necessary. For aftermarket gaskets ebay or sbt. I believe you need the front cover off first to remove the back one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h400exrydr84 View Post
    I bought a pair of sea doo xp's last fall. One is a 96 800 and the other is a 94 and I believe its a 650. Both of them needed new starters. The 94s starter was rusted tight. The guy had the flywheel cover held on by 1 bolt and a bunch of JB weld. So, I need to know how hard it is to take the back side of the cover off so I can clean it all off and retap a few holes. Also, where can I get a new gasket? I don't know of any good OEM parts stores for the older sea doos at all. Thanks in advance.
    You'd have to pull the magneto and flyweel before the rear cover will unbolt form the case halves. Did the previous owners engineering marvel (ie JB Weld) get splooged into the threads, or are the bolts broken off in the cover? Reason I ask is that if the bolts are completely out, yet just you believe the threads are stripped, you my try running a thread restoring tap through them first before re-tapping to a larger size, if that is your intent. Like the OP said, ebay is definitely your friend when it comes to finding parts. As far as gaskets, SBT and WSM, ect. If you strictly want OEM gaskets, you can always buy them above in the Greenhulk OEM parts store. Good luck with the project.

+1
    I have a nice mag housing with no broken bolts. PM if interested.

Its easier & cheaper to replace the housing than drilling 8 broken screws.

Well, I don't neccesarily need OEM gaskets. Anything will work. From what I can see, 2 bolts are broken off. And most of the holes are filled with jb weld. What an idiot to do that. Seems like jb weld was this guys best friend because the exhaust bolts are jb welded on too. As well as the front bumper. Anyways, as far as drilling/tapping there's no problem there. I work at a machine shop. I will probably be attempting to take off the flywheel this week sometime. And tricks to getting the flywheel off? Looks kind of rusted on. Thanks for the replies

Thread Information