1999 ultra 150 cranks once than stops...help!

I had the ski in the water this weekend, started right up and ran great. I than ran into a patch of lili pads and it died out. It started back up and was sluggish until i got it back to the ramp and I shut it off. I let it sit for about 15 mins than it would not start. I than jumped it and it started up and ran great, but seemed like the battery was going. It than shut off and would not start and would not take a jump either. I went out and bought a new battery, and now it just clicks/cranks once for a second than nothing. The battery light also flashes than stops when I do this. I don't know if the battery is not powerful enough to crank it over, or if there is something else that is wrong. Any incite would be appreciated. Thanks.

+1

Gators

Be careful Gators hang-out in the lillies

From your description, it is possible that you sucked-up some garbage and possibly plugged-up one of your coolant ports. The best way to check this is to remove each hose on the top of each cylinder head and blow compressed air through the hose - to ensure teh passage way is clear. I am assuming you have the stock coolant design.

It is why it is so beneficial to do this simple upgrade to your coolant system - in this way you can see if one port is becoming plugged-up. I sucked up a stick a couple of years ago, and was able to "see" what was happening. Reference:

http://ultra150.yuku.com/topic/3508/...orth-the-Money

I would also conduct a compression chack to ensure you did not have a cylinder melt-down.

Good Luck!!!!!

+1

After Re-Reading

After reading allllllll of what you posted, I first recommend that you pull all 3 spark plugs, then reach down with your hand and grab the coupler and try to rotate the coupler. This will tell you if your engine is "stuck" (frozen, siezed) <--- not a good sign.

The engine will rotate easier one way than the other. If my memory serves me correctly, while looking from the rear of the ski forward, the output shaft should turn more freely in a CCW direction.

Make certain you have your key off and the lanyard out - as with your hand down on the drive area, you do not want to be engauging the starter.

If the engine rotates by hand, give it a go with the starter, and see if it spins freely - keeping all of the spark plugs out for these tests.

Good Luck!!!

I will try these suggestions tomorrow. I didn't run it long in the lilli pads, and they weren't that thick, just a thicker muddy water, but it did start up and run fine after that as well. I also noticed my main key ignition is in the off position, which I do not know why it would be able to start before and the guages still work. I do not have the magnetic key, and it was never in the on position, weird.

+1
    Yep, sounds like you overheated it. Compression test is in order. You need the triple pisser mod, and should consider installing a strainer in the cooling line, too.

look in the intake grate and make sure you dont have a bunch of junk in there.

Turns out it was just vapor locked...got a new odyssey battery...same thing happened. Pulled the plugs and held my thumb over each cylinder one by one and cranked it, it started right away after I plugged the second cylinder. I let it run for about 20 mins and no issues. Let it sit for about 30 mins, and it fired right back up. Hopefully I have the issue resolved. Thanks for all the tips guys, I appreciate it.

+1

Good News

Glad your engine was not "frozen".

I would look into getting a "tripple pisser" kit installed - in that way - you can "see" and "monitor" your cooling system flow for each cylinder.

Vapor Lock huhhhh - I guess all of the reading and sharing of information on these forums allows "seasoned" folks (like me) whom have been seated on the same platform (1200cc Kawasaki) for almost 10 years now - to learn something "new" about these things every once in a while.

yeah i know, I had my buddy help me with it because he has been on ultra 150s for years now. I was ready to try everything before tearing down the motor. It pays to try everything first lol. And yeah, I order the triple pisser kit yesterday...probably be the best money I ever spend on this ski, and I going to redo all the oil and fuel lines, for piece of mind.

Thread Information