Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 GTX limited carb issues

Hey guys I finished rebuilding my 98 gtxl has a new motor in it from shortblocksrus.com i removed the oil injection on it with block off kit. i also added a primer system and changed out all the fuel lines. We did the Ben's jetting upgrade sticky here on green hulk and the prok flame arrestor and set the carbs like recommended. rode it the first time and it seemed to run fine didnt feel like it was bogging or anything i know i mixed it a little heavy at 36:1 ran that tank down and i have now been mixing it 40:1. this last weekend i was finally able to really get some time to fine tune the jetting. my wifes little brother said it was bogging a lot on take off the weekend before so i told him to put it up. this past weekend i was able to get on it and try it out to start setting the tuning on the carbs. it has a bog from idle to about 4500rpms and last about 15-20 seconds just plowing barely on step then it will catch and take off like a rocket to about 6800-6900rpms. i tried every adjustment i could on the low speed screws with no affect on this bogging. these carbs were also rebuilt by me when i did the fuel lines and cleaned the selector knob. this is not the first set of mikunis i rebuild but this is the first set to ever act like this and this is my first set to ever use and accelerator pump. any of you guys have some suggestions of what i should be looking at when i get home and get to play with it more?

2.0 N/S - 80 gram springs (21psi Pop-off) - 77.5 pilot jets - 165 main jets and 1 1/8 LS screw, 0 HS screw..

This is what works for me on my 951...

Jetting is 85 lows and 167 mains with 2.3 needle and seats with stock springs. this is what i am at but i am thinking i either have an air leak or accelerator pump problem. went with these jets due to what was posted here and the flame arrestors.

no one has any other suggestions?

How are your rave valves? I had an issue like this that was my rave valves not opening when they should

+1
    A good indicator is your sparkplugs. How are they coming out (color) that could tell you if running lean or rich. Can be a starting point on tunning your boat. just my two cents.

plugs are looking good not to wet but not dry. rave valves are good. the rave valves would be affecting my rpms on the top side not some much on the bottom it has no problems once its up to get to 6900 rpm and hauling ass. just a bad bad bog and will hold 4500rpm or so till it planes out then once it hits it jumps up and screams. once i get out the trottle and let it fall to about 4500 it will bog again for a couple seconds and then fly again.

Mine did this - acc pump was plugged. It is such a small orifice, I took a strand of wire to clean it out, and all was good.

will be ripping into accelerator pump next weekend when i get home. i am thinking along the lines of that being my problem.

well got the fuel alarm to stop going off.... rebuilt the rave valve just need to get the lower bellow metal oring for it. Also checked the accelorator pump and it was spraying fuel in the carb throats. will run it tomorrow and see if i still have the bogging issue. got the low speed screws set at 2.5 out and the highs are set at 1/4 more open then stock setting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information