Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

belt not aligned 07 ultra 250

before i started my ski for the first time this season i noticed the belt off 1 notch or rib on the s/c pully as if the sc pully was out a little too far.. what are these symptoms of a sc bearing failure or pump bearing failure? or crank float which i havent checked for yet? my warrenty is good until october this year. would it be covered? which of these failures are common to what you see in the pic

i know the pully is rusty as i used to run ski with cover on pullys for the first 3 months of ownership then pulled cover and saw it was from not able to get fesh water to wash it down. ski has 136 hrs on it belt was replaced at 116 hrs by me along with a spare belt and holder

I think you have a couple of problems. The misalignment of belt will likely cause belt to break sooner or later especially when pulley is corroded that bad.

If you look very carefully sometimes you can find little ribbon of belt that got shaved off edge just prior to belt failure. I have seen belt on 09 in similar position with failure. I think its likely an install error. But, no way to prove it unless checked before ski is run. Good reason to ask dealer to check alignment and tension and check it yourself in their parking lot.

Supplement: I misread part of your post. No dealer involved. I guess that leaves one person responsible for install...oh well, still better to catch it now than out on water!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If you try to get warranty work on that.............. good luck....

When I installed the belt it was aligned properly and ran fine I installed that belt in 2010 what would cause it to walk like that. I did purchase the belt tensioner tool when I did this job... It has to be from the last time it ran... I can't see that belt lasting more then 20 mins on the water at speed. Is it possibly the sc pully bearings failing? If its a bearing failure of some sort wouldn't it be covered under warranty... Has anyone had a bearing failure be covered under warranty... My dealer seen the rust before and said that won't affect warranty last time i was there and that rust is not under the belt where the belt rides.

+1
    It getting covered is all up to the servicing dealership and Kawasaki. We could all sit here and argue what they should and shouldn't do but ultimately there is only one way to find out. Bring it in and ask your dealership. They can give you an honest answer with out it costing you anything other than the drive there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    If you try to get warranty work on that.............. good luck....
    negitive comments are not needed please..

I was just looking for info based on other peoples experiences, Im in no way trying argue with anyone about warrenty work and what should be covered. the pully has surface rust and the dealer has told me that its a common issue and as long as the rust is not in the groves of the pully you are fine. I was concerned if its possible that a bearing is failing and if so does a bearing failure get covered under kawi's warrenty... (I just dont want to be paying for something that should be covered under warrenty) Although i do have a good dealer Its always good to have some good info before you go there.

Im due for a pump inspection so when i do bring it in for service ill have that upgraded to 2011 spec for pump bearings.

I also checked belt tension and it was out of spec (i have the tension gauge) i put the belt on straight now and adjusted tension but didnot have my key to start it.. ill check to see what happens tonight on the hose.

Im not trying to be a dick to anyone so please dont take it the wrong way. I do apprecieate the help and info and advice from everyone on this forum. Thank you

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I wasnt trying to be a dick or negative either, as I wished you luck,Its just all that rust shows neglect....improper care and maintance to your ski....again good luck.........

+1
    Correct there should be no rust that's why we suggest remove the cover and leave it off so as to keep it clean

Is it worthwhile to upgrade the pulley (same size but more resistant to corrosion)? Does 300 have exact same pulley as 260? I am not interested in extracting boost or hp, just reducing potential belt slippage and corrosion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information