Lightbulb Crazy OVER HEATING Issue with 04 STX F15 w/ 14 Hours

Ok, Posted a thread previously about ski not running (9 Hours when I picked it up) - Solved this w/ Fuel pump & Regulator. Ran fine a few trips out.
    Next, after 2 Hours logged (@11 Hours) Ski had intermittent "F1" Code flashing, and occasional stalling.
    Checked it out, Couldn't find anything initially, then while on flusher & running I noticed, water leaking from Exhaust stinger to Muffler coupling. I removed stinger to Find 3 Holes! 2 Under Coupling & one that leaked the source of visible water.
    Following this I had the stinger welded, However I picked up a spare Exhaust to be safe & installed it after thorough exam.
    Ran ski another (2 Hours) "F1" Code back on!
    Next, disturbed to say the least, I decide to Chk every single cooling hose. I found the upper & lower hoses that go to the Drive Coupler Clogged, Cleaned that with both compressed air & water, Next, find lower hose on the Muffler clogged, Cleaned that I believe Cannot see & Removal is a PITA!
    I also swapped in another Temp sensor for good measure.
    So, I by-passed the lower Muffler fitting & Tee'd into upper fitting on Muffler.
    Lastly, I replaced Cyl #1 Sparkplug, as it stumbled as if 3 cylinders were only firing & that one was burnt. Seemed to be better on the trailer.

Following evening, Take ski out, my wife rides & jumps waves for 1 Hour, but shes too gentle, So I hop on it & Hammer the ski WOT for 15 Min or so, modulating Throttle & putting good load on it. Seemed to be fine, Shut ski off, went to get truck to load up skis, and once she fired it up, I noticed smoke from around hood area & while idling the "HEAT" Warning started beeping. Also, the pisser was void of water! Note: The F1 code never came up again.

I checked for lines loose, or my Tee came off, nothing. I removed the pisser hose from the exhaust manifold to see if any water came out, Put ski in reverse, Held it by hand & modulated throttle, water would come out, then Air pockets, Steam, then water, then nothing.. Very strange. I assumed the Jet pump was clogged (Seaweed or leaves maybe), Loaded on trailer, Jet pump clean & clear!!

So, as Ive had this ski a short while & its has practically No hours, spent most of its life in a garage, I don't understand what Else can be wrong.

Any ideas?

Ive changed oil 4 Times & changed filter (Initially it had water in the oil from sitting or flipped many years ago? 2 Tanks (20 Gallons or so) of fuel thru it, Have inspected all hoses in cooling system. Have flushed water thru the entire system, one way or another, Pull a hose end off, I blow water thru it. My only questionable component is the Muffler. Could it be clogged as well? I occasionally get sputters of water from the Exhaust when running on the trailer. Its not consistent. The Muffler (Waterbox) get very Hot, as does the Valve cover when running on the flusher hose, However I can touch the exhaust Manifold and its cool on all 4 cylinders. Also, when running on flusher water is clearly flowing from the following areas: Pisser, Inside Jet pump stator area, Thru hull fitting above Jet pump & Lastly spurts thru exhaust port.

The only other plaguing thing with the ski is the intermittent idle, occasional stall. I just ordered new Plugs, Ive cleaned the TB, checked every harness plug. Idle will fluctuate between 800-1200 and then settle @ 1000, then will randomly start to fluctuate again. If you blip the throttle a few times, occasionally it will hang up in the 3k range. Blip throttle again a few times it settles back down. Very strange.
    Fuel Pressure @ 45-48 psi, Walbro 255LPH Fuel pump, K&N Air Intake, Plugs appear good, Spark healthy, TB Clean, IAC Clean, Injectors shocked & Lubed, Fresh 93 oct Fuel, New Oil change,...(ONLY 14 HOURS!!)

Please forward any ideas or techniques I can try. My Wife loves the ski, however Ive had more problems with this ski then any 2 Strokes Ive owned or repaired.

Later this evening I'm going to remove the Muffler & Jet pump for thorough visual inspections, That's the remaining few things Ive not done.

On a completely different note, I have a 2010 STX F15 here Im rebuilding the engine (Basket Case) for a friend (249 Hours Stuck rings), I noticed that it only has 1 Muffler, the second has been replaced with a Metal pipe (From the Factory NOT Aftermarket), similar to what Riva sells for the 2004-2009 StX 15F, Would this Pipe replacement be of any performance enhancement or just Noise? I understand on 2 Strokes it could effect peak RPM range & Back pressure, however on a 4 stroke rules change. Just a thought.

- Thanks

I would also like to add, In fairly calm water @ a 1/8 mile (guesstimate) I was only able to reach 60MPH on the speedo and Tach registered over 7k RPM is was at the Peak of the RPM range on the dash.
    From my recollection, the Stock Speedo's off anyway on most all PWC, so perhaps on GPS I was only sustaining 57+/- MPH, but had it been correct my "Dream-O-meter speedo should have registered 66-70MPH if all was performing correctly @ a GPS'd 61-63 MPH.
    I weigh 180lbs & No gear on board. I will inspect the Jet pump & Impeller, But they appear in good condition from peeking in. There are a few Hull Blemishes, minor & doubtful they would slow ski 5-6 MPH.
    What are your thoughts?

+1
    I'm not sure what to tell you on your overheating problem, but is sounds like there is still an obstruction somewhere, with use now you could be loosening up whatevercrap was causing the other clogs, are they corrosion clogs, white stuff? If so try putting a hose & funnel in the flushing fitting & start engine & dump one gallon of vinegar into it, they burp the throttle twice to get excess out, leave sit over night & then flush normally. If you are seeing 60 on the speedo you are doing about 56 real speed. you should be getting a little more, also RPMs should be about 7K + 2 or 3 bars above on the tach, if its alot higher (close to the 8 then your impeller could be damaged. If it doesn't go any higher than 7K a couple things to check, is take the airbox out & apart to make sure critters & there nests didn't get in there, also wouldn't hurt to check the pump bearings that they are not going tight from sitting so long. The 2010 model you are working on only has one muffler with the pipe that looks like an aftermarket, the outlet of the single muffler is about 25% smaller, which keeps the noise level the same as the older ones.

I intend to inspect Pump thoroughly & Trailing edge clearance, I'll also make not of any Bearing slop, binding or corrosion.
    I found some info over on PWC Today, lots of overheating scenarios w/ this ski apparently. I need to inspect the cooling hose under the Intake more thoroughly. Apparently they are known to corrode. My ski, although very low hours had severe corrosion! Yes, it is like white dry concrete. It completely rotted 3 Holes in the exhaust stinger (Header collector), As well the cooling lines going to the rear of the engine Coupler. I need to check for Sand or corrosion at the Oil Cooler also apparently.
    Ive yet to do a comp test, however no signs right now of a popped head gasket. I'll continue my inspections.
    - Thanks for the input. And my ski is no longer equipped w/ the Air box, I have K&N Cone filter now, no chance of critters in there.

It is an aluminum cooling "pipe" not a hose under the intake manifold that you should check/replace. If you reach there, just replace with the updated part (2007+).
    Also if that "pipe" is corroded, you would have a water leak in the engine compartment AND overheating condition (due to lack of cooling water supply to the engine).
    Besides the above aforementioned pipe corrosion issue, there is no inherent cooling issue on the 15F in general. Most cooling issues are operator induced, just like on any other watercraft, such as due to lack of maintenance/flushing after riding in salt water.

Well, thanks for the input. The cooling Hose under manifold connects to the "pipe" you mentioned, This I know, I have the Cyl Head off a 2010 Here in my shop. when I remove the Intake I'll be able to compare the updated part to the older style. When I blow water thru that hose, Water does come out thru the exhaust manifold, Obviously there is no Major blockage, however, considering my previous corrosion restriction discoveries I'd bet money there is some corrosion there. There is zero water leaks into Hull while running either by flusher or by water. Previous leaks were the 3 Holes on my Stinger/Collector exhaust pipe.
    All this being said, I understand your theory of User error on the part of corrosion and maintenance, However, the facts are this was a 9 Hour ski! Meaning its only run 9 Hours in its lifetime in 8 Years! That's a short amount of time in any usage situation, with or with maintenance. Obviously it was NEVER flushed & had zero service work done. It was left to rot after it wouldn't run, assuming it was flipped and perhaps took on water.
    I have no way of knowing the true origins of the ski, nor its history, I purchased from a 3rd party that never used it.

I will get to the Jet pump & Intake later this evening, I hope, Have a big ski freeride event here in Maryland @ Ocean City this coming weekend & I'm sure my wife wants to partake. I myself ride a Superjet & a Blaster.

Thanks again

Yes, the rubber hose connects to the aluminum pipe and that hose is NOT the issue.
    The issue is the aluminum pipe that is corroding that you can't see from out side.
    It's corrding at 3 places.
    1. Where the black hose is attached to that you can't see.
    2. Where the pipe is inserted into the cyl block at 2 places that you can't see.
    You have to remove the pipe to see the corrosion.

Whether the ski has 9 hours or 900 hours, if not flushed after riding in salt water, corrosion will occur where it can.
    And corrosion is more likely to occur on ski that is just sitting in storage with (salt water inside) than the ski that is being constantly ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by Evo View Post
    Well, thanks for the input. The cooling Hose under manifold connects to the "pipe" you mentioned, This I know, I have the Cyl Head off a 2010 Here in my shop. when I remove the Intake I'll be able to compare the updated part to the older style. When I blow water thru that hose, Water does come out thru the exhaust manifold, Obviously there is no Major blockage, however, considering my previous corrosion restriction discoveries I'd bet money there is some corrosion there. There is zero water leaks into Hull while running either by flusher or by water. Previous leaks were the 3 Holes on my Stinger/Collector exhaust pipe.
    All this being said, I understand your theory of User error on the part of corrosion and maintenance, However, the facts are this was a 9 Hour ski! Meaning its only run 9 Hours in its lifetime in 8 Years! That's a short amount of time in any usage situation, with or with maintenance. Obviously it was NEVER flushed & had zero service work done. It was left to rot after it wouldn't run, assuming it was flipped and perhaps took on water.
    I have no way of knowing the true origins of the ski, nor its history, I purchased from a 3rd party that never used it.

I will get to the Jet pump & Intake later this evening, I hope, Have a big ski freeride event here in Maryland @ Ocean City this coming weekend & I'm sure my wife wants to partake. I myself ride a Superjet & a Blaster.

Thanks again

So how did you make out with the overheating problem?

I have an 06 12-f with a refurbed engine - took it out yesterday for 19 minutes and the heat alarm went off...there was steam and a bit of spittage from the right side water port..
    now the ski won't start, but it turns over..so i must investigate ...if I get it started I was thinking of the vinegar idea for flushing, or the stuff you flush car radiators with..
    fingers crossed the motor did not get too hot..she ran like such a charm when i was breaking in the new pistons and rings.

Thread Information