Starting a Ski that has been sitting

Hey Guys, I figured I would post in the Polaris section as that is my other SKI and there isn't a section for the Wet Jet by MasterCraft I have. Anyways, I have a 94 DUO 200 that I bought for the trailer. Paid 300 bucks for both the Trailer and Ski. The ski didn't work but with a little testing and a diagram I had a bad CDI. After searching for over a month, I found a brand new one and got it installed and what do you know, it started right up! I immediately shut it off because I am unsure what I need to do when a motor has been sitting. I am not sure if it was winterized properly or anything.

Is there anything that I need to do before taking it on a test run? She was smoking really good when I did have it running.

As always, thanks all so much for everything!

Banned User
    +1
    Smoke is a good sign. It means there was oil in the engine. Did it smell like fogging oil?

im not sure i know what the fogging oil smells like. I seriously doubt it was properly taken care of. I'm serious. It has been sitting for several years and I hit the start button with no choke and it fired up immediately I'm happy about that lol...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Rebuild the carburetors BEFORE you go test riding. Gummed up carbs can run an engine lean and damage pistons quite quickly.

Go through the entire fuel system. Replace hoses, filters, seals, etc.

Drain out the old gasoline. Clean the fuel tank inside if you suspect dirt. Some fuel tanks have hose sections inside the tank, which often needs replacement.

Check all rubber water hoses for age, cracking, rubbing. Look for loose clamps, missing clamps.

Find out where the lubrication points are. Some jet pumps need greasing or oil changes. Jet pump bearings can fail due to rust over time.

In short, spend the time to go over the entire machine from end to end. It is better to find and correct problems before you get out on the water. Many small problems can cause further damage if not corrected before you test ride.

Thread Information