need help with polaris msx 140

Hi all! I need help with my msx 140. I bought it about 2 month ago. Previous owner said it ran great. He started it and it worked fine. Today i took it out for the first time. It started on the first spin. Had it running out the water for about 10 sec. When I put it in the water it wouldn't stay running. it would shut off after about 3-5 sec idling. Rpm jumping 900-1500. When i gave it some gas it would accelerate but still shut off at different speed. When i would give it 1/2 of throttle it would go about 35 mph. after giving more that 1/2 throttle it would start bogging, cutting off. So I took it home, checked for spark. Only one cylinder had spark. checked compression, all cylinders about 100 psi. 125 hours on the ski. My question is - is it possible to do 35 mph with only one cylinder. Also, is 100 psi really low. Can i still ride it after replacing coils.

Thanks for your advice.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Replace coils? Why would you do that?

Your engine uses the Ficht fuel injection and ignition system. Click my signature links to learn more before you start diagnosing and replacing parts. Your engine works very differently from a car engine or any carburetor engine.

From your description, I would be checking the following;
    Correct spark plugs installed?
    TPS failing?
    Warning lamp on display?
    Any messages on display, such as Reverse?

Once you get it running properly you can check for full engine power by watching the RPM at full throttle while riding on the water. A healthy engine will turn about 6800+ RPM at wide open and run about 60mph. RPM at speed is a better check of engine health than compression alone. Compression reading varies with the gauge used, the battery strength, engine temperature, etc.

Thank you for your reply K447!
    Checked spark plugs. They're all PZFR6H. All three work fine.
    There is no warning lamps or messages on display.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Your engine uses the Ficht fuel injection and ignition system. Click my signature links to learn more before you start diagnosing and replacing parts. Your engine works very differently from a car engine or any carburetor engine.

TPS failing?
    Warning lamp on display?

Once you get it running properly you can check for full engine power by watching the RPM at full throttle while riding on the water. A healthy engine will turn about 6800+ RPM at wide open and run about 60mph. RPM at speed is a better check of engine health than compression alone. Compression reading varies with the gauge used, the battery strength, engine temperature, etc.
    So now I'll check my TPS

TPS failing?
    Warning lamp on display?

You were right about coil packs. they all work fine. For each coil there goes orange wire. And only one of three wires had power. So I checked all three coils with that wire and all three coils worked fine.
    Also if TPS is the problem why than two coils dont have spark and not all three.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaha View Post
    You were right about coil packs. they all work fine. For each coil there goes orange wire. And only one of three wires had power. So I checked all three coils with that wire and all three coils worked fine.
    Also if TPS is the problem why than two coils dont have spark and not all three.
    How did you test for spark? Did you just drop cylinders and assume spark is the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    How did you test for spark? Did you just drop cylinders and assume spark is the issue?
    I took all plugs out and touched the bolts on top of the cylinder heads while cranking. only one plug would spark. But like K447 said, plugs and coils are not the issue. I disconnected TPS and now I get spark in all cylinders.
    Does anybody knows where i can order a new TPS. I've only found some used ones on ebay

TPS failing?
    Warning lamp on display?

Hi again! I would like to thank you for helping me out with my msx 140. like you said it was my tps. i was able to get it out for the first time after repair and it ran good. although it wouldn't rev past 6400rpm. i guess its time for rebuild. very low compression on all cylinders Thanks again for your help

Thread Information