gp1300 top speed

hey everyone. been a while since i was last on here. have a few questions that i'm sure some of you can give me some insight on. Have a 2004 gp1300r that looks bone stock. I put in the d plate and chip, r&d ride plate and riva top loader intake grate. i run amsoil dominator oil in it. I use the champion powersports spark plugs that i saw a few of you are running in yours. I take it out last week to run it and decided to take my phone and check the gps speedo app that i have (speedview). It has a nice feature in that it shows your max speed achieved. I turned it on, put in storage compartment and took off on a long straight speed run with about a 1 foot chop. Got done and it read 72!! I figured this is not possible with the mods that I have. I then verified the accuracy with my garmin and they were reading he same speed on highway. My question now is this speed real with these mods or is there other mods that are probably done that i can't see. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel30 View Post
    hey everyone. been a while since i was last on here. have a few questions that i'm sure some of you can give me some insight on. Have a 2004 gp1300r that looks bone stock. I put in the d plate and chip, r&d ride plate and riva top loader intake grate. i run amsoil dominator oil in it. I use the champion powersports spark plugs that i saw a few of you are running in yours. I take it out last week to run it and decided to take my phone and check the gps speedo app that i have (speedview). It has a nice feature in that it shows your max speed achieved. I turned it on, put in storage compartment and took off on a long straight speed run with about a 1 foot chop. Got done and it read 72!! I figured this is not possible with the mods that I have. I then verified the accuracy with my garmin and they were reading he same speed on highway. My question now is this speed real with these mods or is there other mods that are probably done that i can't see. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Hello diesel stock speed on the 2004 gpr is 63 to 64 on average, a stock riva ride plate will add 2 max a Dplate does not add speed. Maybe there is more mods that the previous owner did that you do not know about.

in 1 foot chop not very likely. Out of those mods, the ride plate is the only real thing that adds speed.

A jim's performance- The ride plate is a r&d 1200 ride plate. Would that make any difference over the riva one? Is there a way to tell if it has an aftermarket prop in there without taking the grate off or disassembling anything? Would higher compression pistons/milled heads make that big of a difference? Maybe upgraded reeds. Is there any easy way to check these areas out without really digging into the engine? Sorry if I sound like a noob but I'm not too familiar with the gp1300's. This is my first ski. I've always been on dirt bikes and I just got into these. Any guidance or advice is much appreciated!

+1
    Doubt your over 65mph with the shocking stock 4 blade prop! Look into the pump from the steering nozzle and see if you can count he blades on the prop. The 03/04 skis came with a 4 blade and a 85mm nozzle. That will give you a idea if there have been any more mods. Also measure the nozzle, if the prop has been changed, then it's possible they swapped out the 85mm nozzle for the 87mm one that comes as standard with the 05-08 skis.

+1
    The phone app GPS's work pretty well on the smooth highway, but in lake water they can be optimistic. They do not track as many satellites as a specific GPS unit does (my Garmin tracks up to 13), so the up and down motion of the boat will add to the apparent speed. I have used radar vrs phone gps and verified the phone ones read too high in rougher water. Makes for bragging rights, but I would rather know the real mph so I know if I improved something or not.

Thread Information