Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

2001 Polaris Virage TXi Check engine, RPM limit 3500

Hello all, I recently purchased an 01 Virage TXi. First ride out on it yesterday went well until the the check engine message came on and power was limited to 3500 RPM. It ran flawlessly for about 45 mins. I used the electric reverse, then returned it to forward. About 10 seconds later the message came up on the dash. I made sure the reverse flap was fully up. Attempted to clear the fault by disconnecting the battery with no luck as I later found out the codes are stored on the EMM. I have no idea how to check the fault codes and can't find anyone in the Toronto area willing to work on these things, not even the Polaris dealer! I know that if the reverse is not fully returned to forward the RPM will be limited. Maybe there is a sensor monitoring this? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

What are you gas and oil levels like on it? Ski will go into limp mode if gas goes below about 1/4 tank or if oil tank is low. Also, mine will get stuck in limp mode if I use reverse, but if I just shut it off and restart it goes back to running fine. I just dont use the reverse unless I absolutely have to. Go to the tech and FQA question area and there is info on how to read the codes. But first thing I would do is make sure it has gas and oil.

+1
    Gas is full, oil gauge shows half but I will check it. Thank you, i will check the other posting. Would clicking the buttons to reset the electrical system help in this case at all?

+1
    open the hood and pull the storage bucket out.look inside at the reverse handle and you will see the switch.you can unplug it and see if thats the problem.that ski will run wfo till it runs out of gas or oil.a warning will flash but it will not go into limp mode

Not sure which buttons you are talking about but if disconnecting the battery didnt do anything not sure resetting the buttons would either. But may not hurt to try. I believe there is a micro switch inside the reverse motor housing which activates the limiter. Its possible that switch has broken or isnt making contact. You might check that.

+1
    Does anyone know of a shop or anyone that will be able to check the codes in the Toronto area? I am quite useless when it comes to this stuff... Polaris dealers have no interest in touching anything that doesn't sink in water around here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    Not sure which buttons you are talking about but if disconnecting the battery didnt do anything not sure resetting the buttons would either. But may not hurt to try. I believe there is a micro switch inside the reverse motor housing which activates the limiter. Its possible that switch has broken or isnt making contact. You might check that.
    the rev switch may be stuck on.if you unplug it you will find out if thats the problem

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Reverse mode will not cause a Check Engine message, it would cause the display to show a Reverse Message.

If the display is showing a red warning light AND a Check Engine message then reverse is not the problem.

What exactly did/does the display show? HOT? Check Engine?

My signature links show how to build a simple LED code reading tool.

While the EMM does record error codes, as soon as the problem goes away the EMM and the display should go back to normal operation. There is no need to 'clear' codes in order to resume normal operation.

If the warning is visible and/or the engine is limiting RPM then the problem cause is still happening right now.

Note that Electric Reverse (PERC) was only used for one or two model years on Virage so many owners are unfamiliar with electric reverse on Polaris PWC.

+1
    The message reads "Check engine" and the red light flashes. It was just odd that it was running so well until the reverse was activated, but it could be a coincidence I guess.

+1
    Thanks everyone for all the help! Had it diagnosed.. Turns out the EMM was overheating because the previous owner had replaced a part of line and tightened it too much restricting the flow to the computer. Cheap fix and should be back out in the water in no time! Thanks to GO PERFORMANCE in Dorchester, ON for the help!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information