Scratches on the bottom of a new 2011 VXS

Hello all,

This is my first post. I purchased a 2011 Yamaha VXS new from a dealer about a week ago. It took its maiden voyage over the Memorial Day weekend, and I love it. When I took it out of the water, I noticed some scratches in front of the metal plate on the hull. There are several of them and they are about 8 in long. For the life of me I can't figure out how they got there. The VXS went from the trailer into the lake and on to the Shoremaster lift and back to the trailer. No beaching or hitting anything and the craddles don't hit there either.

I called the dealer and he thinks they likely happened in transport from the factory and that I shouldn't sweat it. He also made it clear he wants me happy and will contact Yamaha if I like. The problem is the VXS is now ay my cabin 6 hours away and Im not sure what to do. I don't plan to be up there until the 4th of July week. Here are my questions:

1) Is some scratching common in shipping from Mfg?
    2) Should I work to get them fixed or let it go?
    3) What would they likely do to fix it?
    4) What would you do?

I have to admit that I'm obsessive complusive when it comes to these things so I'm looking for some rational advice!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

i got the same thing on my hull. 2011 vxr.
    no big deal for me. ride and have fun. no time to sweat the small things.

+1
    Jim welcome to the forum.
    There is a difference between surface scratches vs. cracks or gouges. It depends on how deep they are.
    If it's just surface scratches I wouldn't worry about it. Sure you could get them removed, but they would be back after a short time; we all have scratches on the bottom; if you have a few grains of sand on your trailer bunks you can get scratches just from sliding off the bunks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Jim welcome to the forum.
    There is a difference between surface scratches vs. cracks or gouges. It depends on how deep they are.
    If it's just surface scratches I wouldn't worry about it. Sure you could get them removed, but they would be back after a short time; we all have scratches on the bottom; if you have a few grains of sand on your trailer bunks you can get scratches just from sliding off the bunks.
    +1 welcome to the forum ..Every jet skis that was put in the water has scratches from the beach , sand , sliding on and off the trailer ecc.. Enjoy your ski and don't worry about it

Well you'll get enough of them that they will eventually all blend in.... lol But seriously who knows, you could have ran over something in the water to. I wouldn't really worry about it. Its not like its going not rust out on you. Enjoy your new ride!

+1
    Welcome to a great PWC forum...hope you enjoy yourself for years to come...as for your hull dont sweat it...If you saw the bottom of my ski you would have a heart attack....I always wondered if the roughed up hull was bad for performance till I saw a photo of a "low drag" bomb hanging on a jet. enjoy your ski !

Brewmaster Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute Force View Post
    Hello all,

This is my first post. I purchased a 2011 Yamaha VXS new from a dealer about a week ago. It took its maiden voyage over the Memorial Day weekend, and I love it. When I took it out of the water, I noticed some scratches in front of the metal plate on the hull. There are several of them and they are about 8 in long. For the life of me I can't figure out how they got there. The VXS went from the trailer into the lake and on to the Shoremaster lift and back to the trailer. No beaching or hitting anything and the craddles don't hit there either.

I called the dealer and he thinks they likely happened in transport from the factory and that I shouldn't sweat it. He also made it clear he wants me happy and will contact Yamaha if I like. The problem is the VXS is now ay my cabin 6 hours away and Im not sure what to do. I don't plan to be up there until the 4th of July week. Here are my questions:

1) Is some scratching common in shipping from Mfg?
    2) Should I work to get them fixed or let it go?
    3) What would they likely do to fix it?
    4) What would you do?

I have to admit that I'm obsessive complusive when it comes to these things so I'm looking for some rational advice!

Thanks in advance!

Jim
    Same thing happened to my 2011 FZS, fairly deep scratches about 10" long on bottom of hull below sponsons. I Had purchased the ski in December and didn't notice it until May when I was getting the trailer cleaned up and readied for the new season. Even though it was several months, the dealership fixed it under warranty on the assumption that it was from factory shipment, and because the ski had not yet seen the water. My advice would be to get it fixed if the dealer will work with you.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm leaning towards letting them go (at least I was until the last post!).

mmayer- Do you have other scratches on the bottom now?

Hi-

My friend had this happen and it was caused by the trailer bunks lag bolts at the rear mounting being too long and the points of the lag bolts were sticking out of the wood, but hidden by the bunk carpet. Take your hand and carefully feel over every bit of your trailer bunks for sharp points from the bunk lag bolts, just an idea.

Also, when I retreive my ski I get in the water and try to wash water over the bunks good to wash out anything in the bunk carpet. The other boaters shake their heads

I shake my head when they ram their crap logs onto there rusty trailers and grind down their prop on the concrete

Thread Information