Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

May be buying my first 800 gpr (gel coat issue)

I've been in contact with the owner(2nd) and he has sent pics and told me known issues with the ski which seem to be cosmetic. He did mention the 1st owner would use one of those floating dry docks to store the ski and from doing that the gel coat was getting removed. He told me he re-applied gel coat and polished it. How big of an issue is this? Anything I should check and what if he is just saying he re-applied the gel coat but actually didn't. How do I make sure? Ski is an 01, original motor and 103 hrs. I will be able to lake test it. Very eager to get this, nice looking ski and I read they are pretty fast. Anything you can think of that should be a red flag? All advice will be greatly appreciated. I've never owned a yamaha, only kawi's and seadoos. Just texted him to find out if the gel coat missing is exposing fiberglass

pics he just sent

+1
    Red Flag number one. these ski's aren't gelcoated fiberglass. they are SMC. I don't think gelcoat will stick to SMC for very long. If he gelcoated it, thats not the proper repair in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Red Flag number one. these ski's aren't gelcoated fiberglass. they are SMC. I don't think gelcoat will stick to SMC for very long. If he gelcoated it, thats not the proper repair in my opinion
    With the damage seen is that something that can be easily repaired or is it best to find a different ski. Also, if left as it is what kind of damage can be caused ?

+1
    Can't tell from the pics. If he slapped gelcoat over some light scratches...then fine. No big deal. the gelcoat will just flake off and no harm done. But if he gelcoated over a big crack, you're in for some more work when the gelcoat flakes off.

Definition of SMC - click here

Great info cutlass. This is what he texted me, "no, its just through the white part of the gel coat Maybe 1/32 deep, probably less than that. If it was to the glass i woulda fixed it." I know its hard to take someones word especially when it comes to pwc's. I will ask him tomorrow to see wif their were ever any cracks or not.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatJetSkiFella View Post
    Great info cutlass. This is what he texted me, "no, its just through the white part of the gel coat Maybe 1/32 deep, probably less than that. If it was to the glass i woulda fixed it." I know its hard to take someones word especially when it comes to pwc's. I will ask him tomorrow to see wif their were ever any cracks or not.
    Not too big of a deal. The more important this to check is the engine compression. DO NOT buy it without checking the compression and running it on the water to see how it performs.

Even if the crack is not too deep - do you really want a 800 GPR? Are you sure what you read was not referring to 1200/1300? Never heard the 800 referred to as fast. Not that they are not a good ski but it sounds like a good way to have buyers remorse. There were a lot more 1200/1300 GPRs sold - should be easier to find a good one.

My XL1200 looks similar to that - run up on the beach too many times. If its not gel-coat, what's the best repair? The service manual says gel-coat for deep scratches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information