99 slth 700 oil pump arm ,spring and cable not set right

Hi I feel like I'm chasing my tail. When I bought the ski the previous owner told me he had been into the carbs, so I rebuilt them. Then I noticed the lever on the oil pump that the cable attaches to was put back together wrong. The lever was on backwards, the hash mark not even close and he tried to adjust that with the cable but not correct.
    My question is what symtoms would I have if the motor was sensing no oil, or the wrong amount of oil, or to much oil being injected. I can't tell which condition it was doing with the parts put on wrong?
    The spring for the return on the oil lever was streched out and would not fully return the lever to the hash mark position. So i'm going to add a helper spring as you can not get that return spring anymore. So there another question what would thwe motor do if the lever does not fully return?

Banned User
    +1
    The arm may have rotated all the way back around, relieving the spring tension. Try turning the arm almost one full turn back around. Play with it a little bit, you will see how it works.

So if I disconecct the cable I should be able to give the arm one full rotation and this should put extra tension on the spring. So maybe the spring is ok after all? I will try this for the weekend. One full turn should put a lot of strenght back in the spring.

Banned User
    +1
    It won't be quite one full rotation. Make sure the arm is pulled in the same direction as it is when you open the throttle if the cable is disconnected. The arm always seems to flip itself around whenever the cable gets disconnected.

You're better off just replacing that pump. Don't risk your engine trying to band-aid the pump together. I should have a few spare pumps....I'll give you one cheap!

Edit: Didn't read Bryan's posts.....that's likely what happened. Try rewinding the spring first.

The good part is, the pump is designed to default to wide open if the cable comes off or breaks so typically you end up with too much oil at lower speeds....which is better than not enough!

Thread Information