Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2000 Pro 1200... in the shop :(

Background:
    Bought the ski about 2 years ago with 67 hrs, now has around 95hrs.

The good:
    Have never had any issues with the ski, starts right up every time and runs strong.

The bad:
    Shop says spun driveshaft and coupler to the engine, also needs new through hull seal and plastic cover over the drive shaft coupler. Shop can't find parts online but is ordering new from Polaris. Cost is $650 parts and $300 labor.

My question to you, is this ski still worth the repair? I paid $3k for it and know I can't find this kind of fun for the cost of the repair, just want to see what someone else thinks!

Thanks everyone,
    Aaron

Banned User
    +1
    That drive shaft you listed is wrong. The rubber bonded coupler when used on the pro 1200 is too long and wont allow a cover to fit over it. Find a solid coupler and cover from an early SL model or a pro 785 if you want a used one. The Pro 1200 uses its own unique drive shaft. Its 18 3/8" long. Probably stuck buying that new. I have never seen a used one on Ebay. Any Polaris solid coupler will work however. The 300 labor is an absolute rip off. Its about a 1 to maybe 2 hour job if the coupler or pump bolts are really stuck. The 650 parts is a rip off too. Partspitstop.com has the drive shaft for $151 and the coupler for $202. Thats for new parts. So even buying the new parts is still worth it. Just don't get stuck paying $650 for them.

This is the coupler you want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-New-...ht_1104wt_1110

And thats a new one. Order the drive shaft from a dealer online and you can probably fix the whole thing for less than 300 in parts.

You can replace the seals in the seal carrier for about 3 bucks a piece. you need two of them. Find a bearing supply house locally and get 2 8702 seals.

Thanks for the links, I tried searching ebay as well, just not sure what parts can be used across the various models. I am in Dallas, Texas.

Here is the price break down he listed:
    SHOP EBAY
    Shaft 270 100
    Coupler 210 45 (shipping, unknown)
    Cover 27 15 + 6 shipping
    Seal 85 44 + 10 shipping

Savings of ~$375 to buy ebay items listed. Bigest savings being the shaft and coupler. I am not very mechanically inclined which makes me shy away from used parts, with the Pro being considered a race ski, I was under the impression most of the parts aren't interchangable from other models, but the drive shaft and coupler on ebay appear to show a range of years and models.

He said I could probably still use the through hull seal, but that it was a common thing to go out and that it would probably be a good idea to replace it while we are in there. I don't really mind spending the money if the work is done right, just want to make sure fixing this ski is a good idea, instead of putting $1k down on another ski. Problem is, I don't want to buy someone else's problems with a used ski, I feel I had pretty good luck this go round, but maybe not the same next time!

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    That drive shaft you listed is wrong. The rubber bonded coupler when used on the pro 1200 is too long and wont allow a cover to fit over it. Find a solid coupler and cover from an early SL model or a pro 785 if you want a used one. The Pro 1200 uses its own unique drive shaft. Its 18 3/8" long. Probably stuck buying that new. I have never seen a used one on Ebay. Any Polaris solid coupler will work however. The 300 labor is an absolute rip off. Its about a 1 to maybe 2 hour job if the coupler or pump bolts are really stuck. The 650 parts is a rip off too. Partspitstop.com has the drive shaft for $151 and the coupler for $202. Thats for new parts. So even buying the new parts is still worth it. Just don't get stuck paying $650 for them.

This is the coupler you want

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-New-...ht_1104wt_1110

And thats a new one. Order the drive shaft from a dealer online and you can probably fix the whole thing for less than 300 in parts.

You can replace the seals in the seal carrier for about 3 bucks a piece. you need two of them. Find a bearing supply house locally and get 2 8702 seals.
    Thanks for the info, now I need to call the shop and get a complete list of parts and see if I can source them from PartsPitStop.com... that is a great find. I know I could probably do the work myself, and have a few friends that restore cars that could probably lend a hand, just really wasn't fun being stranded on the lake so for $300 I think I might just bite the bullet!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eah026000 View Post
    Thanks for the info, now I need to call the shop and get a complete list of parts and see if I can source them from PartsPitStop.com... that is a great find. I know I could probably do the work myself, and have a few friends that restore cars that could probably lend a hand, just really wasn't fun being stranded on the lake so for $300 I think I might just bite the bullet!

Partspitstop has full parts diagrams so you should be able to find what you need easily

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    i'm in south arlington,i've got the coupler,couple seal,driveshaft bumpers,seal carrier,and a custom long driveshaft for a pro1200.$350.00 installed for all of it provided i get to take it for a spin!!!!i'll check back here when i can

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    i'm in south arlington,i've got the coupler,couple seal,driveshaft bumpers,seal carrier,and a custom long driveshaft for a pro1200.$350.00 installed for all of it provided i get to take it for a spin!!!!i'll check back here when i can
    There's the deal of the day!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by eah026000 View Post
    ... really wasn't fun being stranded on the lake ...
    Find some riding buddies! That way you have a tow handy if you need it.

Have a friend or significant other that might like riding? Buy a three seater machine for them and go riding together. We always ride two machines when we go out. Always know I can get back home, even if one of the machines sinks!

Yes, they can sink (or at least get down to iceberg levels). And it can happen in a hurry if something below the waterline fails.

See this to get an idea how quickly things can go bad. The drive shaft seal fails at around the 10:30 time mark in the video. Note how quickly the horizon becomes angled as the ski fills with water.
    Last edited by K447; 06-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Sure wish I would have seen this sooner... I believe the shop has already ordered parts so maybe back on the water this weekend or next... I might think about buying the parts off ya for spares, just in case! Where do you ride? We are in Plano and usually hit Lavon. If anything, might be nice to have someone who knows their way around a ski confirm the shop did a good job! I believe he has a good reputation around the area but you never really know.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information