Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    2006 Gp1300R Ran great then started bogging

    Hi, I have read all the "bogging" threads so I am not trying to waste anyones time. My ski has about 30 hrs on a total rebuild that Jim the plate man performed. He did a great job. The newly rebuilt engine has 30 hrs on it. I ran it last Friday for 3 hrs on the water and it ran flawlessly. D-plate is my only mod and it was performed roughly 70 hrs ago. I took the ski back out Saturday and ran it about 13 miles at various speeds including a lot of WOT. I was riding WOT back to the dock with no problems. I left off the gas did a 180 and when I "jumped" back into the throttle the ski would spit and sputter and "buck". I repeated this twice with the same result. Not knowing what was occurring I decided to wake speed back in to the dock. The ski idles fine and no problem getting to the dock. I took the plugs out and #1 plug looked more blackish like it was running rich. #2 and #3 looked a normal medium brown color. I changed the #1 plug and waked back out untill I exited the no wake zone. I jumped back into the throttle and I still got the spit and sputter for the 1st 5-8 seconds then the ski blasted off as it should. Tried it once more with the same result. I decided to wake back in and park it until I could determine the problem. Got home and compression tested each cylinder. 120-120-118. I went further and decided to pull the head. I inspected the pistons and they looked fine (no sign of any lean condition). I did note piston #1 was slightly blacker than 2 or 3 but no signs of excessive heat on #2 or #3. With the head off (and plug wires pulled away), I engaged the starter and let the pistons go up and down in the cylinder. It appeared that the atomized gas from the fuel injectors were equally feeding each cylinder as the longer I rotated the motor the pistons coated evenly with fuel. I do run 40:1 premix. No signs of water or damage to cylinder walls and pistons. I pushed on the pistons and hand rotated and everything seems fine with no loose motion in the bearing areas. I do have spark at #1 plug. The motor idles fine under the water hose and will respond fine when throttling the rpms up under the water hose. My next step is considering replacing the ignition coil on #1 but that is just guess work. Before the problem occurred on Sat, I did notice a "rich" like raw gas smell from the exhaust that I hadn;t smelled before but the engine responded fine when I accelerated. I have re-seated the wiring harnesses also and sprayed the terminals with silicone. Anyone have any idea's? Thx in advance and any thoughts are greatly appreciated. David


  2. #2
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post
    Hi, I have read all the "bogging" threads so I am not trying to waste anyones time. My ski has about 30 hrs on a total rebuild that Jim the plate man performed. He did a great job. The newly rebuilt engine has 30 hrs on it. I ran it last Friday for 3 hrs on the water and it ran flawlessly. D-plate is my only mod and it was performed roughly 70 hrs ago. I took the ski back out Saturday and ran it about 13 miles at various speeds including a lot of WOT. I was riding WOT back to the dock with no problems. I left off the gas did a 180 and when I "jumped" back into the throttle the ski would spit and sputter and "buck". I repeated this twice with the same result. Not knowing what was occurring I decided to wake speed back in to the dock. The ski idles fine and no problem getting to the dock. I took the plugs out and #1 plug looked more blackish like it was running rich. #2 and #3 looked a normal medium brown color. I changed the #1 plug and waked back out untill I exited the no wake zone. I jumped back into the throttle and I still got the spit and sputter for the 1st 5-8 seconds then the ski blasted off as it should. Tried it once more with the same result. I decided to wake back in and park it until I could determine the problem. Got home and compression tested each cylinder. 120-120-118. I went further and decided to pull the head. I inspected the pistons and they looked fine (no sign of any lean condition). I did note piston #1 was slightly blacker than 2 or 3 but no signs of excessive heat on #2 or #3. With the head off (and plug wires pulled away), I engaged the starter and let the pistons go up and down in the cylinder. It appeared that the atomized gas from the fuel injectors were equally feeding each cylinder as the longer I rotated the motor the pistons coated evenly with fuel. I do run 40:1 premix. No signs of water or damage to cylinder walls and pistons. I pushed on the pistons and hand rotated and everything seems fine with no loose motion in the bearing areas. I do have spark at #1 plug. The motor idles fine under the water hose and will respond fine when throttling the rpms up under the water hose. My next step is considering replacing the ignition coil on #1 but that is just guess work. Before the problem occurred on Sat, I did notice a "rich" like raw gas smell from the exhaust that I hadn;t smelled before but the engine responded fine when I accelerated. I have re-seated the wiring harnesses also and sprayed the terminals with silicone. Anyone have any idea's? Thx in advance and any thoughts are greatly appreciated. David
    Hello David if it idles good but breaks up under a load and plug is rich might have a plug wire or a coil going bad. Might have to take the electrical box out and ohm the wire and coil.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Hello David if it idles good but breaks up under a load and plug is rich might have a plug wire or a coil going bad. Might have to take the electrical box out and ohm the wire and coil.
    Thanks Jim for the advice. I ordered a new coil today ($45 ebay) lol. I am guessing it may help (or a plug wire) but it was just running very good. I can still read the Pro X on the pistons although #1 had a slight build up of oil (just enough you could tell the ProX on the piston wasn't quite as legible due to the slight buildup). I went ahead and ordered a new head gasket and will put in on tomorrow. It appears electrical to me I just trying to get the input. I thought if it was a fuel pump issue 1 cylinder would not stand out nor would it run at wfo after stumbling. Again, thanks for responding as I have been having a blast since your rebuild for me. I'm toe to toe with the RXP 215's with basically no mod although I do have to ride in superman positon to stay even . Take Care

    David

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    46
    I always thought that you couldn't pre-mix ski's that are fuel injected. Maybe I'm nuts lol!

  5. #5
    THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,194
    +1
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by pizbrewin View Post
    I always thought that you couldn't pre-mix ski's that are fuel injected. Maybe I'm nuts lol!
    you can premix.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2006 GP1300R Just died, Wont start, Help?
    By danthesurfy1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-05-2017, 09:06 AM
  2. 2006 GP1300R 4K RPM bottom end bog
    By VRP GP1300R in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2016, 05:20 PM
  3. 1988 Yamaha WR500 - Ran Great Then Died (Need help interpret Troubleshooting Results)
    By vintageboater in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
  4. Gp1300r 2006 ran great on water for 4 hrs now not firing
    By chevyrocks3 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM
  5. 2006 GP1300R Just died, Wont start, Help?
    By danthesurfy1 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •