XLTNoob

2001 1200XLT, Siezed engine, AGAIN.

Hey guys, Went to fire up the Yamaha last weekend, and the starter wouldnt budge. This is what I found.

Removed the engine, Removed the cylinders (PTO Cyl was hard to get off of the piston), attempted to turn the crankshaft by hand and with a cheater pipe on the PTO, wouldn't budge. The MAG and Center wrist pins move freely, however the PTO piston is siezed on the wristpin, and the connecting rod is siezed onto the crankshaft. Did I mention this was a HotRods crank from a previous rebuild?

Looks like water got into #3 and rusted while it sat for the winter. Does the damage look consistant with that theory? I'm up for suggestions.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    water damage, You are going to have to replace the crank also. Give me a call if you are looking for some good used parts i have them.

XLTNoob
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    water damage, You are going to have to replace the crank also. Give me a call if you are looking for some good used parts i have them.
    Thanks, Jim. I'll have to check with my brother and see if he wants to spend the money to rebuild. Last time this happened (the first rebuild in 2007), it costed about $2,000 in parts. Will you send me a message with GENERALLY how much it would cost at a shop?

XLTNoob
    Sorry in advance for resurrecting an old thread. Is this ski considered to be "Old School" yet?

Pics moved here:http://s155.photobucket.com/user/fux...ne/Last%20Time

I'm finally able to do something with this engine. Crank & PTO piston will NEED to be replaced. IMO, the PTO cylinder looks good after I cleaned the corrosion out of it. What do you guys think?
    If I were to get another crank & piston - How would I go about making sure my old parts are still within spec? Just do the measurements in the service manual?

It is an absolute requirement I not need to do this again. Sigh.

(Please also see my thread in Yamaha Classifieds! http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210901)

+1
    Water corrosion in the cylinders you better hone the cylinders to have a clean surface .
    I wouldn't worry too much about other parts out of spec other than the crank, but it will be replaced anyway.
    Piston rings and needle bearings are parts that can be worn out so replace them too.
    And don't re-use gaskets and seals

Thread Information