Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

newbie here- oil on bottom of hull on 01 gp1200r

hey guys i just picked up a not running 01 gp1200r for 750, all that was wrong with it was the carbs were all clogged up, so i rebuilt them and it runs like a champ. i took it out for the first time today, real windy and choppy out, and it ran nice and strong but when i got home i noticed oil on the bottom of the hull. i am going to take the exhaust off tomorrow to see whats going on, i really dont think an oil line came off because they look all in tact, my theory is the oil pump because when i checked the alignement of it with the throttle when i had it apart it seemed oily, just wondering if you guys have any ideas for me to check when i have it disassembled. i heard it is not common for the pumpps to go, well no way to find out when i have it apart. oh yeah and it only has 33 hours on it so i dont know. thanks guys!

+1
    Premix is peace of mind as long as your the only one mixing. If you keep oil injection find and fix the leak before you ride again.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Premix is peace of mind as long as your the only one mixing. If you keep oil injection find and fix the leak before you ride again.
    yeah im starting to lean towards that, but another idea i have is since it was so choppy out i kept on getting on and off the gas do you think that would cause oil to come out bottom of flame arrestors, idk, i just have to wait til i take it apart

+1
    Check the little oil pump vent/return line that goes from the oil pump to the tee above the oil tank. That line is easy not to get plugged into the tee well enough, and will pop out even if wire tied, IF it is not inserted all the way in. I know times 2 about that little error. It will put a good bit of oil in the bottom of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    Check the little oil pump vent/return line that goes from the oil pump to the tee above the oil tank. That line is easy not to get plugged into the tee well enough, and will pop out even if wire tied, IF it is not inserted all the way in. I know times 2 about that little error. It will put a good bit of oil in the bottom of the boat.
    Ok thanks for the idea ill do that tomorrow, and nice user name I just got rid of my s10!

I sealed around the line on mine with a little bit of silicone so that it will run down the outside and be noticeable instead of running down into the hull and creating a nasty mess or making me think the oil is coming from another place.

Quote Originally Posted by UFPD1881 View Post
    I sealed around the line on mine with a little bit of silicone so that it will run down the outside and be noticeable instead of running down into the hull and creating a nasty mess or making me think the oil is coming from another place.
    so it would leak outside?

Yes and I am talking about the valve that comes out under the plastics by the fuel on/of/reserve switch. Its a real booger to get to. I just don't want to think I have an oil leak from a little blow off valve and end up having to wrench on the thing to find nothing. That way if it does leak a little out of the valve I will see it and catch it right away and I will know its not coming from down below. And plus there was no grommet in the hole where the line runs up and out of the hull to protect the line from wearing through due to vibration either. So the silicone takes care of that as well. Its just a little piece of mind for now until the off season when I convert to premix. Now that I think of it though I probably should have used something a little easier to remove though just in case I do have to mess around with that.

well guys found the leak, cracked oil pump..... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0276.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	273538

now should i try looking for another pump or just go premix, i know a lot of people really like premix but i really would prefer oil injection, idk u guys tell me

+1
    I like using the pump, but always use Otiker clamps instead of wire ties. The pumps are pretty reliable on these. You may want to figure out why yours broke there, if somebody put it back on and didn't align the tabs, or what. You may want to check if the crank/flywheel bolt is coming loose, or someone rebuilt engine and put a washer under crank bolt, that might be a cause and would break the next one too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information