+1

Question 2007 RXT 215 vs. 2102 RXT 260

I currently have a 2007 RXT 215, and i am considering upgrading to a new RXT 260, or maybe even an RXPx 260.

Does anyone have experience with this upgrade? is the new RXT 260 much faster and a better ride than my 2007 model.... i.e. is it worth the $8-$9k extra (other than the 4 year warranty promotion).

thanks, advice and opinions will be appreciated.

+1
    I just traded my 08 rxt 215 for a 12 rxt-x 260. I had 96 hours on my ski and decided to make the jump before paying a chunk of change for the one year warranty extension and the 100 hour service. I am very happy with my new ski. I have about 12 hours on it now and have noticed some differences between the two but nothing insane as far as riding. My cousin still has his 08 215 and we went out the other day. The 260 really pulls on the 215. I have also noticed a difference in handling as well. Seems to handle a lot better and I haven't played with the settings of the sponsors yet. I am a big fan of the new dash and the adjustable steering is a major plus. I really like the braking system although I keep forgetting I have it. lol

I thought my 2008 rxt 215 was a great ski. I purchased it as a left over in 2009 and I had 3 great seasons with it. I had a few small issues with it like a corroded wire on my starter which left me stranded on the water once, a bad sensor (forget what it was) that was replaced under warranty, and the hood shock went bad. I consider that a pretty good run. The new ski has a lot more electronics and the braking system that could potentially be an issue as some point. Hopefully I have the same luck as I did with my last ski.

How many hours do you have on your ski now? Have you had any issues with it in the past? Did you replace the ceramic washers in the supercharger?

+1
    Thanks for your reply JohnnyG.

Last year my super charger failed at 86 hrs. It left me stuck on the lake. This past weekend it failed again at 106 hrs. I was stuck on the lake for almost an hour. My ski has been out of warranty for 2 years, so 2 x super charger bills

I have generally enjoyed my ski, and find it hard to see how the 260 is much better. I have run against a 260 on the lake, and could not tell an acceleration difference. I dont have any concerns with my 215 handling.... just wondering if the price premium will get me much more than a 4 year warranty.

I do like the look of the reverse/brake.... looks very useful and possibly fun?

I looked briefly at the more reliable FZR, but i dont like the styling (however I do like Yamaha as a brand).from what i see on Yamaha's site.. the FZR is a little faster 0-30 (this sounds fun)

Only thing i am a little disappointed in is the reliability of my Seadoo!!

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    try something out of the mainstream - the GTR215

768lbs and 215 hp, not the gas guzzler that the 260 is, you get a 'playful' GTI hull(slips around like a flat-track race bike), but with the VTR it'll carve pretty well (no, its not a P-X)
    plus you save about 3500$ - that buys alot of parts and gas.

+1
    I traded my 2007 RXT 215 for a 2010 RXT-X. If its worth the price is subjective on what you are looking for and where you ride. The below are my opinions of the two different skis Needless to say, others may have a different opinion.

1. The hull on the 2010 is light years above the 07. It turns better, rides better and takes chop better. If you are use dto sliding the hull in turns playing with it, the the 2010 will still slide, but no where near what the old hull will do.
    2. The IBR system works as advertised. I don't think the brakes are needed, but they are a great toy. The left hand control for F/N/R is fantastic. docking is 100 times easier than with the older system. Neutral actually works
    3. The pull out of the hole is a lot better. I pull lots of skis/tubes/kneeboards etc and its much easier on them than the 215 was. Running against 215 skis, I pull them 2-3 boat lenghts and they never catch up.
    4. Top speed is ~ 67-69 stock. Best I saw with my 215 was in the 65 range rarely. usually less
    5. The 260 LOVES gas. I use a LOT more than the 215. Of course this depends on how you ride it, but once you are in Boost........

I don't know why you lost your SC's. Older ceramic washers were an issue. but if you replaced with metal not a problem. I had about 100 HRS on my 215 when I traded it with zero issues.

I don't know anything about FZR's, but the Doo's shouldn't be any more or less reliable than any other ski out there. Only issue on the pre 2012 Doo's is that the jet is bolted to the ride plate and if you don't replace and/or check the bolts they will come loose.

If I had it to do over again, I would do the same trade. I love the new ski. YMMV.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zone 5 View Post
    1. The hull on the 2010 is light years above the 07. It turns better, rides better and takes chop better. If you are use dto sliding the hull in turns playing with it, the the 2010 will still slide, but no where near what the old hull will do.
    what is dto sliding?

I have a Seadoo ski boat 210SE (430 hp)... so i dont have a need to pull tubes or skiers behind my pwc.

Thanks for the input

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    try something out of the mainstream - the GTR215

768lbs and 215 hp, not the gas guzzler that the 260 is, you get a 'playful' GTI hull(slips around like a flat-track race bike), but with the VTR it'll carve pretty well (no, its not a P-X)
    plus you save about 3500$ - that buys alot of parts and gas.
    You have got my attention!

I am happy with the ride of my 215. I like playing around on the lake. I dont ride a tight course. I spin in circles and jump wakes.

I enjoy the massive accelaration, but feel like i can use more

maybe from everything i see here, a 215 with a stage one kit, will provide better acceleration than a new stock 260, and will be much more fuel efficient?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dax_Thornhill View Post
    what is dto sliding?

I have a Seadoo ski boat 210SE (430 hp)... so i dont have a need to pull tubes or skiers behind my pwc.

Thanks for the input
    Its the "d" from used, and the "t" from to. I missed a space.

Based on this post of yours, and the next one, you seem to be in love with your 215, so I have no idea why you would want to buy a 260. If all you care about is spinning circles, and jumping wakes, then you don't need a 260. I would spend your money figuring what you did wrong to smoke to superchargers first.

+1
    I do love my RXT and like riding my pwc much more than my boat....

I only service my RXT at approved seadoo dealers.... I am frustrated because of the SC failure after such a short time, and Bombardiers attitude towards part failure.

After looking around this site.... i am starting to get very interested in touring... and maybe some ocean (or big wave jumping).

I like riding... not fixing

Thread Information