Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

problems with 2004 msx140

I just recently was given a 2004 msx140 and had a few problems with it. I replaced the prop housing which froze up around the prop locking the engine up. After i got it running i took it to the water to test it and the throttle cable broke replaced the cable and does not seem as fast as was (48mph) is all it will do now. I also had a check engine light come on so i shut it down and started looking for a problem and i found one. One of the cooling lines for the computer has erodded away. Is there any way to fix / repair this without replacing the computer? any help with these matters would be greatly appreciated because it seems like a fun and maybe a fast machine.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk. I have the same issue with my MSX 140 build. The cooling line can be cut and a fitting tapped in, but there is very little margin for error and not many have attempted this. I will be attempting it myself soon. The worry is of course if the corrosion is inside the line deep into the computer I doubt there is a fix for that.

This is a great topic for K447 to comment on, hopefully he will be around soon to give us his opinion on it.

Thanks for your reply i will keep you posted on how my repair attemp goes as well as some photos. It would be nice to here from someone who has fixed this before. i am going to pull it out and see how bad it is and what other possiblities i might have as to repairing it. any thought on my speed issue after i installed the new throttle cable.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolomitz View Post
    any thought on my speed issue after i installed the new throttle cable.
    Based on the evidence it certainly seems your problem is there. Pull the flame arrestor cover and looking down at the throttle bodies you should see the butterflies move into a completely open position when you fully squeeze the throttle. If not, then you will need to adjust it. Also check to make sure you have no obstructions on the linkage as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    Welcome to the hulk. I have the same issue with my MSX 140 build. The cooling line can be cut and a fitting tapped in, but there is very little margin for error and not many have attempted this. I will be attempting it myself soon. The worry is of course if the corrosion is inside the line deep into the computer I doubt there is a fix for that.

This is a great topic for K447 to comment on, hopefully he will be around soon to give us his opinion on it.
    if you cut the fitting off you can drill it out to clean up the hole and epoxy in a piece of aluminum tubing.that was my fix for a broken one

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rr44red View Post
    if you cut the fitting off you can drill it out to clean up the hole and epoxy in a piece of aluminum tubing.that was my fix for a broken one
    Do you have any pics of your repair? It would be handy!

+1
    no i dont.its hard to see in the boat but it does not leak.i used 1/4 in aluminum tube with jb epoxy.

+1
    DFI repaired mine, no issue. Was not to expesive and is as good as new. One of my units was a saltly machine, so my inbound and outbound was gone.... Started dripping, tightened hose.... sent it to DFI... got it back in a week.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The service manual describes how to adjust the throttle cable to minimize slack.

The important aspect is to adjust the cable so that there is a SMALL amount of slack when the throttle thumb lever is at idle position. Just enough that the throttle shaft is not held open at idle and the TPS can properly signal the idle throttle position to the EMM.

I adjust my own throttle cable a tad tighter than Polaris specification so the throttle plates don't start moving until I have squeezed the thottle lever just a little.

Check that moving the steering left/right doesn't cause the throttle shaft to move while at idle position.

Once the cable slack is set to be minimal then you can confirm that the throttle bodies internally are indeed fully open at wide open throttle on the handlebar.

Also make sure the TPS is mounted properly and correctly torqued - they do not like being over tightened.

+1
    k, do you have any thoughts on the corroded cooling line issue on the emm? Have you faced this issue before? I have corrosion on mine, considering replacing the ends but I'm concerned about corrosion deeper in the cooling line and what that could mean in terms of emm health.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information