Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Powershot Fried??

Hey guys,

I have had a Powershot installed in my ski for a few months now but have not needed to use it. I have it run to the glove box, so I can make adjustments on the fly. In order to do that, I cut the wires about 6" behind the unit, ran them through the bottom of the cup holder and glovebox bottom, and then reconnected them under the dash. After I installed it, I made sure it worked (Lights cycled correctly, started, and ran) before I disconnected the injector and map harnesses, and went back to stock. I basically bought this to have as back-up if I ever needed to add a little fuel.

The other day I was out on the river with my buddy. My AFR's looked good with my R3... 11.8-12.0 at WOT. I figured that it would be a good time to play with the Powershot a little and see what it could do, so I beached the ski and hooked up all the harnesses. I went to start the ski and it died after 2 seconds. I also noticed the lights on the unit weren't cycling at all. I double checked the the harness connections...Everything looked good...Still died. So I put it back to stock and rode the rest of the day.

This morning I went over everything. All wires, connections, ground, etc. all check out good....Still the same results...No light cycle, and it dies after 2 seconds. The only thing I see today is when I press the unlock button on the fob, the #3 light flashes green about every 2-3 seconds very quickly

Second thing I noticed was, if I take the MAP sensor harness out of the equation, it starts and runs no problems with the stock harness connected. Is this thing fired or what??? I bought it used from a forum member, but like I said, when I originally installed it, it worked fine....or at least it started up, ran, and cycled though the lights correctly. Anyone have this issue or know WTF is wrong with it???

Thanks

Mike

LIVING THE DREAM IN KEY WEST FLORIDA pcorpion's Avatar
    Mike I have one brand new in its original packaging brand new never used. If need one I would like to sell it .

Thanks pedro Corpion

+1
    Are you sure it has been programmed for use with a reflash? If yes, make sure the green/blue is set to 8. On the repprogrammed units, setting it to 8 disables the MAP signal conditioner, while setting it to 1 will turn that function on for use with a stock ECU.

+1
    How do you get it reprogrammed for a reflash just send it back to R&D? Any idea what the charge to do this is?

+1
    Mike have you tried calling R&D about the issue? May have to talk directly to Glenn. The unit may have somehow got reset which may have knocked out the flash that R&D does to it that makes it work with a reflashed ECU. Not really sure. Kind of a weird issue that I haven't seen before.

Do you need the PS? What are your AFRs without it?

Quote Originally Posted by pcorpion View Post
    Mike I have one brand new in its original packaging brand new never used. If need one I would like to sell it .

Thanks pedro Corpion
    Thanks. I will let you know if I end up needing another one.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Are you sure it has been programmed for use with a reflash? If yes, make sure the green/blue is set to 8. On the repprogrammed units, setting it to 8 disables the MAP signal conditioner, while setting it to 1 will turn that function on for use with a stock ECU.
    Thats a good question...The original owner said he wasn't sure but advised that he was using it with an R3 with no issues. I can't even get this thing to power up to change the settings lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Mike have you tried calling R&D about the issue? May have to talk directly to Glenn. The unit may have somehow got reset which may have knocked out the flash that R&D does to it that makes it work with a reflashed ECU. Not really sure. Kind of a weird issue that I haven't seen before.

Do you need the PS? What are your AFRs without it?
    Hey Todd.

No, I haven't talked to Glenn yet. I was hoping I could get this figured out, but it looks like I may have to put in a call on Monday.

To answer your question...No, I don't need the PS as long as I'm not riding in cool air. My AFR's at WOT have been 11.8-12.2 in 85-90 degree heat...but earlier in the season when the temps were 70 or below, I was lean....12.8-13.0 at WOT. My hope was to play with the PS a little this summer and learn its capabilities, so that come next spring I could get the AFR's dialed in correctly to run in the cooler air.

Talk to Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Talk to Glenn
    Yeah, I'm kinda kicking myself because back when I got and installed the PS I was on the phone with Glenn before I sent my R2 in to be upgraded to an R3. Glenn offered to calibrate the PS for me at the same time. I turned him down...Only because I had just installed it I would have to cut the wires again to take it out. I explained that to him and he said that if I ever needed to add fuel at WOT, all I had to do was run it with the PS MAP harness disconnected to tune.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information