How do you know your charger is slipping ??

What are the symtoms of charger slipping? How will I know it is? The past 2 times I've taken my ski to the lake I haven't seen the arm pulling acceleration I'm used to....oh my ski is a 12 rxpx.

But it's been 110 degrees here too in arizona

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by budman5201 View Post
    What are the symtoms of charger slipping? How will I know it is? The past 2 times I've taken my ski to the lake I haven't seen the arm pulling acceleration I'm used to....oh my ski is a 12 rxpx.

But it's been 110 degrees here too in arizona
    put on a boost gage or pull the SC and check slip

I was more asking what are the symtoms of a charger slipping?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by budman5201 View Post
    I was more asking what are the symtoms of a charger slipping?

How many hour on the ski? Since its new it shouldn't be slipping yet...What are the RPM's? Air temp is 110, whats water temp....compared to when yu first rode it????? Hot air can simulate the effects, but they go away when the air cools (like in the evening)...

If you are slipping, the acceleration is SOFT when boost kicks in, and WOT rpm is down...because when boost builds, so does the resistance of the air to compress. If the charger can't fight the resistance, then it will stop fighting and level out to what it can fight...When it stops it still continues to wear, and that WOT rpm comes down more. The longer you hold it, the faster it drops. Thats when you burn them up, and then you burn the gear, the thrust washer, the flange....

It can happen in a matter seconds if you don't notice it right away (or when you let friends ride it)...Once you start to burn things, they get glazed over, pitted, etc...and you start having to replace more parts until you get to a full rebuild (new shaft/gear/clutches/thrust) situation.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    How many hour on the ski? Since its new it shouldn't be slipping yet....

This is not always true.. As I have worked on two brand new X chargers with less than 10 hours each were the slip was at and below 90 inch lbs...NOW yes i know thats what Sea-Doo considers spec BUT as you and I both know that is not right as a slip that low is gonna burn up the clutches...Budmans issue IMO is the 110 degree heat BUT if he has some concern about his Scers slip,then the only real and right way to know if it is slipping is to check it with a torque wrench...Boost gauges are a reference and are not a reliable way to check slip as other issues in your motor could prevent the ski from RPMing out this having the operator think its a Scer issue because it wont RPM out....

+1
    110 degrees will rob a LOT of power from your ski. Im betting your performance issues are just due to the higher temps.

Thread Information