Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Severe oil leak...low oil pressure light...300x

Ok...300x with 27 hours. The engine and drivline is stock. The only mod is the speedo pick up washer mod.
    Last race i was losing power, the engine felt like it was losing boost and then i would let off the thottle and then the power would come back for about 1/4 mile then it would lose power again. There was a weird rumbling noise associated with the power loss. I checked the exhaust filter..still good. Checked for oil in the intercooler. Its clear. I checked the supercharger belt and tensioner. I thought the tensioner was binding and the belt was slipping. I lubed the belt tensioner bushings.
    I was out for about 20 minutes today. The rumble noise came back and loss of power. Then the low oil pressure light came on, it started misfiring and i limped it ti the beach. The hull and engine are covered in oil. Ill do a visual when i get home...any ideas or similar issues out there?

Banned User
    +1
    Tom give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by OCEANSIDE View Post
    Ok...300x with 27 hours. The engine and drivline is stock. The only mod is the speedo pick up washer mod.
    Last race i was losing power, the engine felt like it was losing boost and then i would let off the thottle and then the power would come back for about 1/4 mile then it would lose power again. There was a weird rumbling noise associated with the power loss. I checked the exhaust filter..still good. Checked for oil in the intercooler. Its clear. I checked the supercharger belt and tensioner. I thought the tensioner was binding and the belt was slipping. I lubed the belt tensioner bushings.
    I was out for about 20 minutes today. The rumble noise came back and loss of power. Then the low oil pressure light came on, it started misfiring and i limped it ti the beach. The hull and engine are covered in oil. Ill do a visual when i get home...any ideas or similar issues out there?

Please post when find you find out what is wrong. 27 hours is barely broken in , so I hope it is something simple, and not as bad as it sounds.

+1
    For starters the power gain and loss is due to the washers. The rumbling could have been from ski not knowing if it should open up or activate the limiter due to the speedo wheel sending mixed signals. Everyone Use the SCOM or leave your ski alone PLEASE. Issues have been documented with skis running the washer mod and it has been well stated for over a year to NOT use the washers and use one of the SCOMs on the market. I am sorry to use your thread as an example. I will agree it has not been proven that the washers caused the problems but it is a very common mod of skis that have had issues.

As far as your ski, I hope it is nothing catistrophic.

Banned User
    +1
    +1

Kawasaki should deny any warranty claim with the washer mod imo, it's not only a cheap hack job (cmon, the SCOM is $230?) but very dangerous for the engine

+1
    Isnt putting that R& D plate like effectively do the same thing as the washer mod?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowGTO View Post
    Isnt putting that R& D plate like effectively do the same thing as the washer mod?
    Yes it is but as long as you have the SCOM you are good. That is what I have been running for almost 100 hours.

I am glad you mentioned this.
    DO NOT run the R&D plate without the SCOM you have a very good chance of blowing your ski up.
    Bottom line the first thing VERY IMPORTANTLY before any other mod is done to your ski PLEASE put on an SCOM. If you are not needing the extra LEAVE IT STOCK. it is a great ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    For starters the power gain and loss is due to the washers. The rumbling could have been from ski not knowing if it should open up or activate the limiter due to the speedo wheel sending mixed signals. Everyone Use the SCOM or leave your ski alone PLEASE. Issues have been documented with skis running the washer mod and it has been well stated for over a year to NOT use the washers and use one of the SCOMs on the market. I am sorry to use your thread as an example. I will agree it has not been proven that the washers caused the problems but it is a very common mod of skis that have had issues.

As far as your ski, I hope it is nothing catistrophic.
    Im not trying to argue this...but all 26 of the 27 hours on this boat are almost all wide open racing and practice runs. I did last years Triple Crown series with no power issues at all. Why would the washer mod act up now? BTW...July 22nd is the Long Beach to Catalina race...
    Thanks for the info.

Banned User
    +1
    Check your grey generator wire is not cut and rubbing on the drive shaft it's usually held up to the tb with zip ties. I don't thing ur cutting out was washed mod related. U most likely fried a ring.

Sounds like one or more of your pistons detonated/cracked from the speedo mod and hard riding/racing.
    Faild piston would cause excessive build up of crankcase pressure which pushes out all or most engine oil into the air intake. Sometimes pushed out oil finds a way to leak out into the engine compartment area.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information