+1

Just changed oil lines, but is taking for ever for new lines to load?

Hi All,
    Need some feedback, I just did all the oil lines on my gp1200, no problem at all took the oil pump out as it was easier to get to, however the lines are taking a while to load, I been cranking it for a while and putting oil directly but they barley are over the valve, is this normal to pump so slow? I also think I bleed-ed correctly, the minute I get that screw loose oil comes out like crazy and I see no bubbles.should I just premix a tank and run it? or will that be too much oil?

toughs?

thanks

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Remove the pump and turn it at high speed with a drill - counterclockwise IIRC. It'll prime the lines full for you.

That's what I plan on doing based on what I've read here.. I'll be priming mine in a few days after a rebuild.

+1
    Thats what I did. I used a drill and I played with the oil pump "throttle" until it was flowing faster.
    A tank of premix would work also. Just remember the oil displaces some gas so the engine will run leaner....so just to be safe avoid WOT unless you adjust the high speed screws to compensate.

+1
    No luck on the drill, i guess my drill is to big and i cant get it down there to have the supply line down. Ill premix a tank and go soft on it, any idea on the ratio i should use?

Thanks

+1
    Did you loosen the bleeder screw (again, I believe there is one, I have yet to get to this task yet) to ensure oil is at the pump (from the bottle) first?

Unless there's an air bubble before the pump itself (in the feed line) I see no reason it shouldn't pump no matter what orientation or level the pump is at.

And your turning CCW on the drill, right?

+1
    Definetly, the minute i loose that screw oil comes out with no bubles, yes i did ccw.. I think i gave up to fast ,

+1
    If you wanna premix a tank, go with 40:1 or 50:1. that should give you sufficient lubrication while the oil pump fills up the lines. If the gas tank is empty you could dump in 5 gallons of 50:1 premix then idle the ski while on the garden hose or while its in the lake (hooked up to the trailer) and watch for the lines to fill up and start dribbling down through the carb fittings. Then go back to the gas station and fill it up with straight gas to dilute the premix and you'd be ready to go.

+1
    update - I ran it yesterday like for 45 minutes, lines are loaded but I still see some bubbles, hopefully on the next run I am done, I cant stand that premix...

+1
    Take the pump off and run it CCW with your drill again - be sure to hold the lever full-open (the position the throttle cable would pull the lever) and the pump will move a LOT of oil in short notice.

I totally loaded all my lines from pump to FA in about 2 minutes of "drilling" this morning.

Thread Information