Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I traded my 260X for a 300X

I traded my Ultra 260X for a 300X and just took it out on Lake Lillinonah for the first time!! So far I'm very happy with it!! The million dollar question is which way to break it in. The MFG's way or something along the lines of http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm It's nice to see that the shaft in the pump has the "Coon Ass" mod (threaded with lock nut). Anyway so far so good as I really like it!!!

Glenn

Banned User
    +1
    Congrats on the new ski. The only thing I will say on the break in is the sc requires more break in then the motor. Be easy on it for the first hr or two to allow the sc to bed in. I have my way of breaking in a ski buts it's very subjective

Thanks!! So far I am loving the refinements between 2009 and 2012. I peeled the big sticker off the back and placed its name "PHANTASM" in its place!! Also remover the sticker on the compartment door in front of the seat.

Congrats on your new Ski Glenn. Coming off the 260x, you are right, some needed improvements found their way into the 300. I would take the time to read through some of the Threads here about the 300; there is a plethora of information here regarding this Ski in the area of "maintenance". I too had the 2009 260x; but chose a different path based on the kind of riding I do today.

Unless you are going to be racing that Ski and need the extra speed, I would stay away from speed override washers on the Speedo Unit, or plug and play SCOM type of apparatus'.

From 20 mph to 50 mph, there is no quicker stock Ski than the 300. Enjoy! JB

Banned User
    +1
    SCOM is an easy 6 mph and quite reliable. Break it in on the SLO key for the first hour, constantly varying throttle, then do the same on full power but avoid top speed runs for at least 5-6 hours

Thanks John! Yea thats what 've been doing!! It's funny that you mentioned the SCOM as that was about the only mod I was thinking of doing down the lake. I hate limits being imposed on me. Is there a specific reason to say away from the Plug and Play SCOM? Thanks

Glenn

Banned User
    +1
    Absolutely no reason to avoid the SCOM, it's been proven reliable on many 300s. Ask someone who owns one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Wylie Skis View Post
    SCOM is an easy 6 mph and quite reliable. Break it in on the SLO key for the first hour, constantly varying throttle, then do the same on full power but avoid top speed runs for at least 5-6 hours
    Thats about what I've been doing except I'm not using the SLO key, but the same idea. My SLO key gets Tie Wrapped in the ski for emergency use!

+1
    I did 1 hour on the slo key 75% throttle or less. And now im doing 3 hours on the fast xey 75% or less and no launches at 4 hour mark im dropping the hammer like Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nGlenn View Post
    Thanks John! Yea thats what 've been doing!! It's funny that you mentioned the SCOM as that was about the only mod I was thinking of doing down the lake. I hate limits being imposed on me. Is there a specific reason to say away from the Plug and Play SCOM? Thanks

Glenn
    The speed increase incurred as a result of the SCOM is due to an increase of about 400 rpm over stock thresholds (about 7700 rpm). You have to consider that this is already a minumum 91 octane Ski @ 7700 rpm off the showroom floor. Increasing rpm will also increase "heat". How much extra heat can the engine tolerate at 8100 rpm and still be a 91 octane Ski? This is the $64,000 question Glenn! I would do some additional research and make an informed decision based on your own findings.

I see you are from Danbury CT. Years ago I spent summers on Candlewood Lake in New Farfield, CT (a great place). . . I am sure you know where that is. . . JB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information