Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Race City USA -- Mooresville, NC (Lake Norman)

96 XP drains battery in 2 minutes

1st time getting the ski to the lake this year and couldn't even ride it...Installed the battery which is only 9 months old and had a full charge.Cranked it over and it fired right up.Cut it off and waited 30 seconds and it fired up again...Then I hooked the trailer up and tried to crank it again and it sounded like a dead battery so I check it with a multimeter and the battery had 10 volts.Trailed it 30 mins to my buddy's lake house and check it again and only had 1.2 volts.Pulled the battery and charged it back to 14 volts, reinstalled and it fired right up.Waited 2 mins and it wouldn't crank... battery at 9.8 volts.Pulled the battery, charged it back up and took it to Autozone and have them test it.The battery tested good.Searched the net to see what could be draining it so fast and found it could be the VTS.Pulled the 7.5 amp fuse and disconnected the motor, reinstalled the battery with the same results.Could the battery be shot even after it tested good??I'm at a loss as to what could drain the battery so fast if the battery is actually "good"Any suggestions on what to test before I just go buy another battery??The ski ran perfect last season and I've never had a battery issue with it (bought it new in 95)Thanks for any help you guys can give me...

even if something is drawing that many amps its going to kill a battery well past usable. try a new gel battery. if no luck then trace the wires andd find witch are drawing that much with a set of piercing probes on a multimeter

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    actually its your ski that is draining the battery. sounds to me that your rectifier has quit working. replace and you should be in business again.

Could that go out from just sitting over the winter?

I thought the rectifier regulated the voltage when charging... if it's bad it can draw power?

Is there a way to test it?

Thanks for your help!!!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    it can, this thing either works or does not. what is happening is that your running the ski on battery power only and thats why it runs for 10 mins then dies. when the rectifier is not working its not charging the battery. There is a way to test it but I honestly have never done it. try searching for it.

+1
    If it's really draining that fast there will be a major spark event when you first hook up the battery cable. Even a small drain of power will show sparking at the cable when first touched. You need to fully charge the battery then hook it up and put a volt meter on it. Then watch the voltage as you crank. I bet it's dropping way down= bad battery. I just recently bought 2 AGM batteries from Chrome Battery for $47 ea shipped and they were here in 2 days. They work great and have a ton of reserve power for stubborn machines that you have to crank forever on.

+1
    You need a new battery that is capable of holding a charge before you start "fixing" your problem.

I only ran it for 10 seconds... then waited 2 mins and its dead.

It did spark a little when hooking it up but the guy at autozone said it's suppose to do that??

I have it on the charger now and will hook the meter up and crank to see what happens.

I didn't think there would be that much draw on the battery so i was thinking the battery was bad but autozone wouldn't warranty it since it tested "good"

I will also sit there with the meter and see how fast it drops hooked up.

Thanks again for the help

+1
    A lot also depends on the age of the starter. Is it turning over fast or slow ???

Starter is fast and strong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information