Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

97 GTI shuts down

Hello forum members,

I picked up a 97 Seadoo GTI this past week and was super excited to take her out this weekend. It still looks showroom new. I cannot believe its a 97. Anyways here's what's happening.

It starts perfectly
    Idles great
    Goes at very low speed with hardly any throttle
    When you punch it and go from like half to full it goes for maybe 60 seconds and shuts down.
    No beeps no indications
    You can still hit the start button but it's like the battery is dead. Wait 2 min and it starts with power and idles perfectly.

Here's what's been done:
    Gas completely drained and fresh gas installed
    New lanyard programmed by SeaDoo dealer
    Brand new battery, right connections
    New spark plugs

I can't seem to figure out what to do. Some say it's the DEES but I don't have to reconnect for start stop to work.

Some think it's starving for fuel. This is what I think too as I have tried to feather it when it's shutting down and I have nothing.

Thanks everyone,

Tony

If it stops, and won't turn over for a couple minutes, you are siezing the pistons. The pistons expand too much, and get stuck in the cylinders. In a few minutes, it cools and can be restarted. The last time that happened to me, the oil filter was plugged, not letting any oil to the cylinders. Have you replaced the grey fuel lines and cleaned the carbs? If not, that is most likely your problem. Now it probably needs a new top end.

Good morning,

That does make sense however I see oil when I take the plugs out. I'm now extremely mechanical. Where is the oil pump filter? Also what do you think it was cost for a top end from SeaDoo?

Also it has new fuel lines. I'm not entirely sure if new oil. The oil lines are clear.

+1
    check to connector for the stator for corrosion. I had an 03 GTI do the same thing you are describing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by policano View Post
    Hello forum members,

I picked up a 97 Seadoo GTI this past week and was super excited to take her out this weekend. It still looks showroom new. I cannot believe its a 97. Anyways here's what's happening.

It starts perfectly
    Idles great
    Goes at very low speed with hardly any throttle
    When you punch it and go from like half to full it goes for maybe 60 seconds and shuts down.
    No beeps no indications
    You can still hit the start button but it's like the battery is dead. Wait 2 min and it starts with power and idles perfectly.

Here's what's been done:
    Gas completely drained and fresh gas installed
    New lanyard programmed by SeaDoo dealer
    Brand new battery, right connections
    New spark plugs

I can't seem to figure out what to do. Some say it's the DEES but I don't have to reconnect for start stop to work.

Some think it's starving for fuel. This is what I think too as I have tried to feather it when it's shutting down and I have nothing.

Thanks everyone,

Tony
    You are starving the engine for fuel.....doing any less than this is wasting your time.

Replace all fuel line's & fuel on/off valve & remove carb & throughly clean & make sure fuel filter in carb is clean & a good oring in fuel filter bowl.

If you continue riding it you will surely do damage to the pistons.

I only tried it twice. It happens the first time I took it out. The second time when I replaced the battery. With A ski so old, will a SeaDoo Dealership even service this machine? The valve is weird to me. There is no indicator arrow to tell me what I am on. It turns both ways and is confusing.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by policano View Post
    I only tried it twice. It happens the first time I took it out. The second time when I replaced the battery. With A ski so old, will a SeaDoo Dealership even service this machine? The valve is weird to me. There is no indicator arrow to tell me what I am on. It turns both ways and is confusing.
    narrow end of valve knob is indicator.

after dinner ill look at this.

I just did the carb rebuild on my 2000 GTI and the fuel filter in my carb was half fuel of gunk... I can just imagine what yours looks like for being a 97.

My 00 looks great too but I just replaced all my fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, and fixed the gas gauge.

If you still have grey fuel lines, those need to be changed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information