Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

3 vs. 5 blade impeller 1994 750 ss xi

I have two pumps available to me. One has a 3 blade impeller, one has a 5 blade impeller.

Which one is stock? What do each do for performance?

I also have the choice between and R&D or stock intake grate and an ocean or R&D pro ride plate. Which will give me what?

Thanks for the help in advance.

+1
    The stock impeller had 3 blades, don't know if yours is the stock one, however.

The 3 blade should be more efficient.
    Last edited by steve45; 06-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.

+1
    The 3 blade is the one that hits the housing. I put the 5 blade one and that pump in the hull as it overall looked more healthy. I also installed the R&D Intake Greate and Ride Plate. Hoping to get these out to the lake on Fathers Day with the kids.

Thanks for all your help and answering my questions.

+1
    the 5 blade is stock for sure. I am curious as to how it performs, please keep us updated.

+1
    Ha sorry it took so lomg. Now I'm dealing with issues with the ski running great but not going anywhere. Ever since I put the impeller in, it seems to have lost the top end it has with the stock impeller.

+1
    My dads 94 SS's both have stock 5 blade impellers and perform very well. Not as good as a concord, but do a pretty good job.
    Did you check the wear ring clearance when you swapped the impeller, and you will lose some top end with a after market intake grate.

+1
    Well, I'll be damned! I guess the SS Xis did come with 5 blade! Sorry about that. I had a '93, and I had the pump out but never apart. I had 4 750 STSs and they all had 3 blades. Sorry about that!

+1
    No apologies needed Steve. They are both stock impellers, and the 5 blade has had mixed reviews when people upgraded to it in recent years.
    Most of the SS's did come with a 3 blade. Some of the XI's came with a 5 blade. I figure whoever bought dad's originally had the impellers upgraded to the 5 blade.
    My 92 had a 3 blade, but I upgraded it to Solas Concord, one of my better decisions.

Demian5, The style ride plate will make a difference in handling. I like the Ocean Pro plates as they really help with stabilizing and carving. I will also highly recommend you quit playing with those stock impellers and stick a Solas concord KE CD 11/16 in it. If the wear ring has not been worn from the 3blad hitting, you will notice a substantial improvement in hole shot and hopefully gain your top end back lost by the scoop grate. Also, if the 3 blade was hitting in just one spot, you might think about checking engine alignment, specially if the driveshaft bearing has been replaced.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodsatheart View Post
    No apologies needed Steve. They are both stock impellers, and the 5 blade has had mixed reviews when people upgraded to it in recent years.
    Most of the SS's did come with a 3 blade. Some of the XI's came with a 5 blade. I figure whoever bought dad's originally had the impellers upgraded to the 5 blade.
    My 92 had a 3 blade, but I upgraded it to Solas Concord, one of my better decisions.

Demian5, The style ride plate will make a difference in handling. I like the Ocean Pro plates as they really help with stabilizing and carving. I will also highly recommend you quit playing with those stock impellers and stick a Solas concord KE CD 11/16 in it. If the wear ring has not been worn from the 3blad hitting, you will notice a substantial improvement in hole shot and hopefully gain your top end back lost by the scoop grate. Also, if the 3 blade was hitting in just one spot, you might think about checking engine alignment, specially if the driveshaft bearing has been replaced.
    What if I go back to the stock intake grate?

+1
    You'll prob. pick back up some of the top end, but it won't hook up as good. Seeing as the SS doesn't stay hooked up in much other than smooth water at speed, I would stay with the aftermarket grate and get a solas impeller.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information