Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steering cable

Steering cable

Hey guys i had a leak coming from my steering cable hole it was missing the half rings so getting them in and i think i got it right i was seeing if any of you could take a picture of the inside and outside of the cable (back hull where it comes in and what it looks like from the pump area. Just wanting to make sure i get this right. Also will it hurt anything if i throw some kind of silicone in the back hole just to help waterproof it. Thanks

btw this is a 04 gtx

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler10r View Post
    Hey guys i had a leak coming from my steering cable hole it was missing the half rings so getting them in and i think i got it right i was seeing if any of you could take a picture of the inside and outside of the cable (back hull where it comes in and what it looks like from the pump area. Just wanting to make sure i get this right. Also will it hurt anything if i throw some kind of silicone in the back hole just to help waterproof it. Thanks

btw this is a 04 gtx
    Also replace the steering nut with metal ones.Those tend to crack and it can be dangerous adventure.

yeah i actually inspected the nut and its cracked that may be my problem i cant tell where these half nuts go because im looking into the hole that comes from the hull and it looks like their sunk in the hole. is that where there supposed to go? does the washer go inside the half rings or on the outside.

+1
    heres a diagram of your steering system,hopefully this helps you out some...

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=135&B=16

BUT the way it goes is the gasket/grommet(which i recommend replacing also) goes over the cable,then you have your 2 locking nut/peices that go over the cable against the washer/grommet...then you slide the big cable nut over the cable and lock nut/peices and screw it into the pump shoe.....

ordered a aluminum steering nut. how do you get the old one off? just take off the ball joint?

+1
    ordered a aluminum steering nut. how do you get the old one off? just take off the ball joint?
    pull the pump and use an open end wrench or a cresent wrench..

got it off the hull i meant off the cable to get the new one on. it doesnt just slide off

+1
    got it off the hull i meant off the cable to get the new one on. it doesnt just slide off
    YOu have to disconnect the hiem from your steering nozzle wit a 10 mm wrench and socket,then you have to take the hiem joint off the end of the cable...loosen the jam jut then spin off the hiem,the nut will slide right off..

thanks i got it off the nozzle just didnt know if i took the end off or if there was a better way. Im assuming when you say hiem you mean the ball joint that connects to the nozzle?

+1
    thanks i got it off the nozzle just didnt know if i took the end off or if there was a better way. Im assuming when you say hiem you mean the ball joint that connects to the nozzle?
    correct...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information