GP1200R 2001 Powervalve not opening 56 mph top speed

The ski has been running a low top speed since I bought it 56 mph on GPS. After a lot of searches on this forum (Thanks Greenhulk and members), I unhooked the servo motor electrical connector and opened the powervalve wheel manually.
    The ski would then run 62 on Gps. When the servo motor is connected it will cycle after the ski is turned off, so it seems like the servo motor is good.
    My question is what can be done next? Replace CDI?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mods: premix, waveater clips, D Plate

+1
    I wouldn't just start throwing parts at it unless I was sure that is the problem. If the cables are adjusted properly and and you have checked all grounds and plug connections for corrosion then it might be a good time to start swapping parts.
    It sounds like the PV controller more than the CDI. You see more PV controllers going bad than the CDI.

There may be someone on here that has one laying around that is local to you.

Check the cable adjustments, take off the PV covers and watch them cycle. When i rebuilt mine last year we had to yank them out with channel locks and use a razor and brake cleaner to get the carbon off. Even though you "hear" the cycling they may not be moving, or they are only moving slightly. Install wave-eaters and knew couplers when you are in there too. It was tedious work and my hands were black for weeks but what i found was the plastic couplers had actually fatigued enough to permanently distort them because the sero was turning them but the valves were stuck. Basically you see the shaft moving but really they were just using up all the play that had formed.

I'll check the wiring and electrical connections from the servo motor to the CDI this weekend.
    Also I'll take a look at the powervalve couplers and cable adjustment. The previous owner installed the wave eater clips and I don't know what the originals looked like.
    Thanks for the ideas.

mods: premix, wave eater clips, D Plate

I am having a similar problem with my 2002 GP 1200 R... The PV motor cycles but doesn't reach top end... please let me/us know what happens... Also, what if you just zip tie the PV open all the time? I realize PWC will not accelerate well, but at least you can reach top speed... Can this cause engine damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Gp1200rnj View Post
    I am having a similar problem with my 2002 GP 1200 R... The PV motor cycles but doesn't reach top end... please let me/us know what happens... Also, what if you just zip tie the PV open all the time? I realize PWC will not accelerate well, but at least you can reach top speed... Can this cause engine damage?
    It doesn't seem like keeping the powervalves open all the time would cause engine damage, but from 0 to 40mph it is boggy and the mpg will probably suffer. After about 40mph it runs great. I didn't have to tie the wheel open, I just disconnected the servo motor electrical connector and turned the wheel open by hand. The exhaust seems to keep the valves open when the engine is running. Hope to check into some of the above possible problems (wiring, PVs condition, etc.) this weekend.

mods: premix, waveater clips, D Plate

+1
    Also pull the tops off the power valve to make sure the pins are still in the power valves.

Banned User
    +1
    I did some speed runs today on flat glass tonite and only can get 56 mph as well at 6880 rpms. The idle is set in the water at 1280-1340 rpms. When I fire it up on land it's around 2250-2480. The mph was speedo reading and a tiny tach. 4 bars of fuel, 200lb rider. I did notice a bog/ hesitation out of the hole

Thread Information