Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

first time out on raider 701- water gushing from tachometer??

ok guys, got the 94 raider the the water today. Put it in, started it up went straight to idle. let warm up for a few minutes. pushed off trailer and off i go. Was about 150 from from the dock when i started to give it some gas to about 3000 rpms and it hesitated. Kinda feathered the throttle a little and as soon as it went past about 3000 rpms, the glass on the tachometer gauge bursted and water started flowing out quickly. very very warm water too! I immediately turned around and waved down my dad who was about to take a video of me and signaled him to get the trailer. Got it on the trailer , and checked it out. the pee hole on the side of the hull is plugged, cannot blow through it. so i take it home, blow it out and a bunch of leaves and dirt come out. its now free and clear. start it up on the hose, water now comes out of the pee hole on the side, but its still gushing out of the gauge through the broken glass. what is going on here?

+1
    I think there is a vent hose on the back of the waveraider gauge display...did you accidental hook that up to a cooling system hose somehow?

it goes from the back of the gauge to a fitting on the top of the cylinder head. it was that way when i bought it. is it hooked up wrong? where is it supposed to go? where is that fitting on the head supposed to go to?

+1
    I can almost guarantee there isn't supposed to be water supplied to the gauge display for any reason. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Raider. Best advise I can give is to have you study the parts diagrams and service manual to get the cooling hoses hooked up correctly.

ok i found this out. pilot water hose goes from the side of the hull to a tee fitting. from there it goes to the exhaust and branch from the tee to the cylinder head. right now, it the head is hooked up to the gauge breather tube and the pilot water hose is hooked straight up to the exhaust. T fitting is missing....gauge busted....But, cheap fix thanks guys

+1
    Holy crap this is one I never heard of before.

+1
    kinda funny if you try picture water shooting out of the display, isn't it?

Haha yea it sure was funny. Going about 3000 rpm and all of a sudden u heard a burst and look down and hot water is gushing out of my tach. Oh yea, do you guys think that my hesitation can be related to the cooling lines being mis routed?

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Holy crap this is one I never heard of before.
    lastest in trends
    water cooled display unit

actually not much surprises me anymore
    lots of igits out there

Can the hose being completely blocked and another being mis routed cause hesitation? As soon as I got it past the rpms where it was hesitating, thats when the glass burst. Im thinking that since one hose was blocked, and the other was filling up the guage as I increased rpms that it started to bog down because the water had no where to go. When I feathered the gas and raised rpms, it stopped hesitating because the build up of pressure finally got released.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information