2 gpr guestions. bad ride and fuel consumption

I have 2 gprs. One is stock and the other is modified. Bought it that way so I didny't do it, so my knowledge is not that good. The modified one ride good and fast. The stock one had had a couple of problems. It was cavitating bad so I put a r& d grate and that has helped a lot. Took it out today and if was cavitating right before it planed of. But after that all was great.

Between 20 & 30 mph it was rocking left to right, after 30 it straightened up.

And it seems to be using a lot more fuel than the other one.

Only other thing I have done is the d-plate. So what do I need to do or look to fix these problems? It is my wifes ski and I'm only trying to make it safe and efficient. Thanks for any help.

+1
    seal the pump shoe to get rid of cavitation lots of info here on how to do it. and enjoy that chine walk up to 30 thats the way the hull was built.

+1
    I put 2 washers under the rear 2 bolts of each trim tab, and put the sponsons in lowest position, no more chine walk, and no more porpoising..
    It did the job for me..

Okay thank. I have read a lot about sealing the shoe on here the home made kit and the pre made kit. I will do that soon. And thanks for the chine walk info. Mine doesn't do it, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was going to hurt her.

As far as the bad fuel consumption, do the reeds go bad, and what would be a good replacement for a stock ski? I am going to get the carburetors checked out, and I think I am going to get rid of the air box for the three separate air filters. And I am thinking I should replace the reeds while I am there and see if that helps. And the spark plugs are good. Thanks.

+1
    What Bill said will help fuel consumption. If it is running good and not spitting and sputtering and running like crap. Then your reeds and carbs are probably OK. If you do decide to put flame arresters on it be prepared to put T handles in the carbs so you can give it more fuel and go with bigger needle seats and jets also.
    More air more fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    What Bill said will help fuel consumption. If it is running good and not spitting and sputtering and running like crap. Then your reeds and carbs are probably OK. If you do decide to put flame arresters on it be prepared to put T handles in the carbs so you can give it more fuel and go with bigger needle seats and jets also.
    More air more fuel.
    Okay thanks. Don't want it to give it anymore fuel. I will seal it and see of it helps. How many hours should a tank last on stock ski, riding it moderately easy?

Thread Information