runs bad after jump starting

Had a friend jump start my 95 sstx 750 now it will only go 4500 to 5000 rpm almost like spark is getting blowing out
    cleaned carbs, new gas, new plugs, new battery any help would be great thanks

Just curious... but what's the best way to jump start another ski?

Some guys next to us at the lake asked to get a jump... but I thought my batt was no good that day, but it still puzzled me a little... esp since the
    master ski should be on, and the ski's want to move as long as the engine is on.

+1
    Use a booster pack.

I'm wondering if I hurt the CDI box when it was jump started cause i believe he hooked it up backwards at 1 time

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Use a booster pack.
    gotcha. Good idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by arment View Post
    I'm wondering if I hurt the CDI box when it was jump started cause i believe he hooked it up backwards at 1 time
    No, if you hook it up backwards, it will just blow the fuse.

I bought one that came with the battery hooked up backwards. No problem, I thought, I'll fix the polarity. STILL it wouldn't start. I went to replace the fuse and couldn't reach through the hole to get the fuse holder. Opened up the CDI box and some asshole had removed the fuse holder and hooked the wires together! I cleaned up or replaced the plug-in connectors and guess what--it runs!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    You likely have a problem with the voltage regulator now..Im would guess that a/c is spilling into the dc system and causing a cdi malfunction. Check charging voltage with a digital meter.

The problem with jumping is that in general, ski charging systems are below rate and can just about keep up with the demands of the engine systems. Not alot of room left to re-charge the batter if it's pretty flat.. As soon as you disconnect the jumper battery with the engine running causes a sudden change in alternator load. A large load as the alternator now only sees the discharged battery and raises the charging voltage. This sudden spike seems to be the cdi killer. Not to mention making sparks inside hulls can be a killer too...

Beside that the backwards battery issue happens all the time around here..with the expected damages. Count yourself lucky when it's just the fuse.

Lots of folks use the 4-tec version of the seadoo voltage regulator bit to help their smaller skis out..that's the music crowd with a pretty healthy mp3 system on board.

For some reason being stingy in the alternator department has been the bane of all sorts of gas operated gizmos for as long as I remembered. At least we have sealed batteries now. The stator on my little force 50 outboard depends on the _battery_ for voltage regulation. The service manuals warns _against_ using agm batteries since they will get overcharged!

All you can do after an oops moment is to sit and reflect the life of the electrons and hope they did not stray from the path too far. Hook it up right and punch it. No dice?..oh well..break out some bucks some brew and the service manuals..it's going to be a tedious day.

I once heard of an idea to "jump" a ski using the battery charger (tender) connector and extention... ski to ski.
    even though the ski's are small compared to a car.. I still think the battery charger wires would be too small, and weak to carry good current.

I have to admit though it sure sounds convenient, if it works.

Anyone try this?

Thread Information