Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie- Hello and I need some help with 2000 yamaha 1200

I just purchased a 2000 yamaha 1200. The engine needs to be completly gone through. The #3 Cylinder failed. I want to know everything you can tell me about this ski. The overall ski looks to be in great shape. it only had 100hrs on it. I only paid $900 for the Ski is that a good deal?

My background, I do just about everything outdoors. I ride motorcycles and UTV's, so I understand what this will take to rebuild.

Are there any mods that I should do? I don't mind mixing fuel (I do it for mine and my kids otorcycles), so What do I plug, so there is not another failure. What mix ratio do i use.

I read something about the PV what do i need to do there.

With the gauge on one cylinder head, I am leaning to machining all three and replace all pistons.

The top part of the engine is already out, so I will be removing the rest of it to split the cases later this week. Info Info Info.

Any good place to get the service manual for this ski?

+1
    So what model is it? 1200r? For me I will try to find out what cause the failure in the first place.

it is the 1200 XL ltd. As far as the cause, If only on piston failed and the others looked good, I would assume it is the oil feed line that I see discussed. It must have got disconnected or the valve didn't work?

+1
    I always here of either oil pump failure or oil line POP off.
    I would premix all 2 strokes to make sure the motor gets oil.
    IMO

+1
    A total rebuild sounds good but you do need to do a lot of research about your engine on here. You will need to clean everything good and just because it cleans up doesn't mean the part is good. If the crank is ok replace the seals on each end. When putting the cases back together use the proper RTV. Check the reed cages for cracks and damaged pedals. If the converter is still in the pipe get a D plate and chip. To convert to premix remove the oil pump and lines replace with a block off plate and 40/1 is a good ratio. The cylinders and pistons that are not damaged could be reused if they are the stock ones. Replace the bad cylinder and piston or get the bad one renicked and go new rings on all pistons.
    Post some pics. if you can and post your progress

Good luck with the build.

Yes, get the service manual on Ebay or Amazon...it's great for tech info & tips, but lacks narratives on the 'how'.
    I just started the rebuild on my ('02) 1200 pv engine yesterday. Between the SM and the expoded parts diagrams online, that's all I will use (& 'phone a friend' when necessary). I had an oil inj line slip off carb #1 and kill cylinder/piston while my daughter was riding. The piston rings melted and piston broke into fragments which were sent through exhaust to rest against catalyst where I found the big pieces. I'm thinking, after reading this great forum...that I should split the crankcase and clean all the other pulverized fragments of piston material as well.
    I've already bought and planning on installing D-plate, exhaust cat sensor plug, rebuilding all 3 carbs w/ mikuni kits, installing primer kit, and oil inj blockoff for premix. I like the convenience of the oil inj, but wtf was Yamaha thinking by using plastic 'cinch' ties to hold the injector lines in place and saving $ using short injector lines with little to no slack??? I know they 'covered' themselves by saying they needed to be checked regularly, but you can't even see them without a mirror unless you remove components of the 2 cycle exhaust monstrosity...Sorry, had to vent!...but I hate poor, $ saving shortcut designs/parts of machines that they know will have to endure extreme use (jumping wakes and 'extreme' use riding).

+1
    Is 40:1 actually good for the pv motor? My yamaha manual says the injector pump gives 30:1 at wot. I run 32:1 premix, would love to drop down to 40:1, that is what I run my 1100, and my doo at, just reluctant on the 1200.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yankejr View Post
    Is 40:1 actually good for the pv motor? My yamaha manual says the injector pump gives 30:1 at wot. I run 32:1 premix, would love to drop down to 40:1, that is what I run my 1100, and my doo at, just reluctant on the 1200.
    I use 40-1 on all my stock skis but 32-1 full synthetic on my big bore and haven't had any issues. some say 40-1 isn't enough and some say 32-1 is over kill. lubricant doesn't hurt but lack of it kills 2 strokes

+1
    Double post sorry internet trouble.
    Last edited by mudslanger; 06-04-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Double post error

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb275 View Post
    it is the 1200 XL ltd. As far as the cause, If only on piston failed and the others looked good, I would assume it is the oil feed line that I see discussed. It must have got disconnected or the valve didn't work?
    Oil is not the Only reason, there could be leak in the crank seal that cause lean running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information