Just bought my first jet ski!

Hi, new to the forum here

I just today purchased a 2000 yamaha gp 1200 with 190 hours for $3K w/ a shorelander trailer. I gave it a test ride and it looked in good condition so I made the deal. What do you think of the price I paid?

Also, I don't know anything about jet ski's and so I want to make sure I take care of this properly and get the most use out of it. Where can I find an owners manual for this? Also do you have any forum topics for beginners to read about the basics?

Thanks in advance

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sacryder View Post
    Hi, new to the forum here

I just today purchased a 2000 yamaha gp 1200 with 190 hours for $3K w/ a shorelander trailer. I gave it a test ride and it looked in good condition so I made the deal. What do you think of the price I paid?

Also, I don't know anything about jet ski's and so I want to make sure I take care of this properly and get the most use out of it. Where can I find an owners manual for this? Also do you have any forum topics for beginners to read about the basics?

Thanks in advance
    the price is good with the trailer, I think you can find the manual on the forum to down load.

+1
    There is a lot of good info here on all the stickies. The one thing I wish I'd known - and I still feel dumb saying this - is make sure you have the engine running before you turn the water on if you have it on a hose. That would have saved me a ton of grief. Check the compression with having that many hours and oil lines if it has not been switched to premix. Seems to be a lot of horror stories about oil lines coming off and ruining cylinders or whole engines.

Quote Originally Posted by lukejaeger1 View Post
    There is a lot of good info here on all the stickies. The one thing I wish I'd known - and I still feel dumb saying this - is make sure you have the engine running before you turn the water on if you have it on a hose. That would have saved me a ton of grief. Check the compression with having that many hours and oil lines if it has not been switched to premix. Seems to be a lot of horror stories about oil lines coming off and ruining cylinders or whole engines.

how do I check to oil lines? What am I checking for? And what do you mean by, "if it has not been switched to premix"?

+1
    sac,

Welcome.
    You need to take a day and read as many posts here on the Hulk as you can. Virtually all questions you may have have been asked before. These guys are a wealth of info on here but make the effort to search as much as possible before posting a question.

+1
    Check this out, plenty of great info on basic mods and a link to the service manual. Which will show how to inspect and find things. Get familiar with it.

http://www.cajundude.com/jetskihome.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    the price is good with the trailer, I think you can find the manual on the forum to down load.
    I bought a 2000 with 65 hrs in showroom condition with a 2012 shorelander and new cover for $3600. So I would say you did good.... Check those oil lines ASAP. I found my #3 was popped off and I caught it before it damaged anything.... I am premix now and loving every minute of mixing fuel....

+1
    Hi Sac,
    Welcome to the forum..
    Please check out the sticky's and get familiar with the ski, there are tons of info, but it ain't rocketscience.
    If you have theGP1200 'R' you will be welcomed to the powervalve system, which demands a lot of care..
    Succes!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eightpilot View Post
    I bought a 2000 with 65 hrs in showroom condition with a 2012 shorelander and new cover for $3600. So I would say you did good.... Check those oil lines ASAP. I found my #3 was popped off and I caught it before it damaged anything.... I am premix now and loving every minute of mixing fuel....
    Did you get yours from Chicago craiglist about 6 weeks ago? I was looking at that one.

Thread Information