Can anyone suggest a bottom coating to cover/ repair a scratched up bottom?

Hello all,

I love a good forum and this is a topic I suspect someone knows about. I have a 2007 gtx ltd, great shape over all but the bottom is scratched up a bit from bottoming/ beaching. No serious damage just ugly. Is there a bottom coating used on pwc's? Like the anti fouling paint of old?

Thanks

+1
    Yes, I want to know the same. The bottom of my RXT has been beat up and scratched and was thinking of just basically putting bondo or something to fill it back and sand it down and spray paint it with auto paint and then spray sealer on it, will that work?

+1
    I've got mine sanded and gouges tapered, gonna use 3m 5887 two part epoxy to smooth it all out and paint over that. Short spread time but is sandable and flexible

+1
    Don't use bondo on a water toy.

It's not going to last.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Don't use bondo on a water toy.

It's not going to last.
    +1 .. forgot to add that

+1
    marine tex. for filling holes and gouges.
    black epoxy spray paint like for appiances form home depot looks really good.
    did this to my 03 gtxsc and held up for years and looked perfect.

Real gel coat is the best thing to use. For bottom scratches, thickened gel coat paste is super simple to use, just takes some practice, and it will blend great with the gel coat of your ski as long as it isn't super sun faded. Basically, you can buy a quart of colored gel coat directly from the supplier that Sea Doo uses (GelCote Intl) for 90 bucks, then get a tube of MEKP (hardener, about 2 bucks) and a tub of Cabosil (thickener, about 20 bucks). The quarts from GelCote come with wax already, so you don't worry about top coating with PVA or any of that nonsense. They say the shelf life of gel coat is 6-12 months, but I keep it in the refrigerator and it will last several years. This amount of stuff will be enough for a few years of dings and gouges on your ski.

You mix up a small amount of gel coat with the thickener, add a few drops of hardener, mix well, then just squeegee into the gouge. Don't worry about getting it perfectly level with the surface on the first coat. Let cure, sand lightly with 400 grit and acetone to remove the wax, then do a second coat, repeat as necessary to get the gouge perfectly level. For a final coat, just mix up the gel coat with hardener, no thickener, and squeegee a light coat over the gouged area. Wet sand the area in staged grits, 400, 600, 1200 and buff out with rubbing compound and polishing compound. You won't see where you had the gouges; it will look like new.

Thread Information