Steering cable loose

Sea Doo 2001 GS

The right steering cable came loose where it exits back. Water was leaking at the point where it exits. I pulled cable and clamped which temp resealed it. Will I need to take it out of the water to fix? Any advice? Will look at shop manual now but hoping for advice. Thanks.

+1
    The nut that seals the cable is probably broken. Inside there are 2 half rings made of rubber that may have fallen out. The get compressed by the big nut and seal out the water. Loosen the nut all of the way, remove the half ring if they are still there and look in the hole to see if the plastic threads have broken off inside. If they have you will need to get them out. I used and sharp pick with a 90 degree bend to get it out. Remove the connector at the nozzle for the steering. Replace the two half rings and slide the new nut down the cable. SBT sells a special tool to tighten the nut without removing the pump or you can make a tool out of thin wall (EMT) electrical conduit.

Is it on a lift? It will need to be out to fix it. If the half rings fall out and the engine is running you will have massive amounts of water filling the hull. You should fix it correctly asap.

Thanks much for reply. I'll pull it. I assume the rings are intact since I've been able to pull the cable to reseal it temporarily. Hard to check it as is in water....I can see the metal threads on the cable connector but cannot tell if threading is stripped but its pulling and pushing as if loose. Could a nut be loose on the outside of the hull, where the cable is connected to the counter lever attached to the exit steering vent? I'll check the manual...I'll reply back after I've pulled it and looked closer.

+1
    I am talking about the large nut that is over the cable where it exits the hull near the pump mounting. If it is original it will be plastic. It is about an inch in diameter. You won't be able to see it at all if the ski is in the water.

Thread Information