Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First ski: '94 Waverunner III GP

Hello all. I'm new to both the PWC world and the forum here. I'm just looking for some input from anyone with experience. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

A few weeks ago, as I was hanging out at the local lake, a few buddies and I got to talking about PWCs. One of my friends mentioned that you could get older ones so cheap that he didn't understand why everyone didn't own one. From that point I was searching CL every day just looking for an older ski just to have a little fun on. I'd found a few and was fully prepared to have it at the lake this coming weekend.

However, I first decided to check out all the houses around the lake that had older skis that I felt the owner may come off of for cheap. The first guy I talked to had the WRIII sitting outside. I asked if he would be interested in getting rid of it, and he said, "If you want it, you can have it. That will save me from having to bother with getting it out of the way." So, we loaded it up and hauled it back to my buddy's lake house.

We're going to pick it up this afternoon to try to get it running. I'm just looking for any suggested plans of action specific to this ski.

What I know so far is that the battery is good, the spark plugs were a little dirty but still firing, and nothing seems to be jammed or locked up. I plan to do a compression test, clean the carb up, and replace the fuel filter in the next couple days. Any other suggestions on small-time, easy fixes to try?

im no mechanic at all and very new as well, however i just picked up recently a waveraider 1100 that didnt run, the motor did turn over and had spark but wouldnt come alive, so i do know some basics, and the motor was lacking fuel, so with that being said i took the air cover off(the flame arrestor) and squirted a little gas in each carb then turned it over. Now i believe i was very lucky and the motor fired right up and continued to run. I shut it off since there was no water running so i ran grabbed the hose and turned it over again and fired right up and then put the water through(one thing to know for sure is ALWAYS have the ski running first before having the water running from hose and always take the hose off before shutting down the ski)

after i realized it ran and continued i got rid of the old gas and oil changed plugs. The ski before had sat for at least a year without anything..

oh yea i did a comp test when i looked at the ski so i do recommend this first to make sure the comp. is within a ballpark area (i believe the 701cc are ~150psi so id assume the 650cc is somewhere in that ball park however searching for info is your best bet unless someone else can chime in, sad part is there isnt a lot of help for the old ski's like there use to be from what i noticed searching through and trying to ask questions now)

Maybe I'll get that lucky as well. It sparks just fine and turns over like a champ. It seems like it's right on the cusp of wanting to start. I'm confident that a good carb overhaul will get it going.

I've ordered a pump block off kit as well. I don't trust the old oil pump in the thing and the cap for the oil tank is broken and won't screw on all the way anyway. I've seen some crude how-to things about installing the block off kit, but does anybody have a specific recommended method for this ski?

the oil block off is very simple, as far as the cap thats how they are, they never "lock" in they get semi tight then a little more and it spins right past, im not sure why but thats how they work on the skis ive messed with (my raider 1100 friends 700 my brothers gp 760 etc)

It's not that the cap doesn't tighten all the way. The cap is literally broken. It's almost in two pieces.

Ohh haha my fault, i assumed mine was broken because it doesn't lock in place, so i figured you assumed it was broken. Misunderstanding

I opened it up yesterday to do my first real work on it. I checked the compression out and it checked just fine. I first wanted to see if it would actually crank up before tearing into it so I would have an idea of how deep the problem may run. I poured a little mix into the carb and it fired right up like a brand new ski.

It was looking quite promising at that point. I was almost positive all it needed was a carb cleaning to have it running perfectly. I pulled the carb off and opened it up to find that thing just as clean as a whistle on the inside. No trash, no gunk, nothing. I put it back on the ski and tried again. Still nothing. I then realized there was no fuel being pumped at all. It wasn't even making it out of the gas tank. I inspected the diaphragm and found no holes or anything, but it did look quite stretched.

I chalked the problem up to that and ordered a new diaphragm to put in there. Any other ideas on what I may need to check out in addition to that? If the new diaphragm doesn't do the job, I'll be out of ideas.

typ of the earlier models is hard cold starting, make sure the fuel valve isnt restricting flow or leaking.

Well it turns out I just didn't give it enough time to start pumping, I guess. I went back out to it yesterday afternoon to give it another shot and it fired right up. I guess it's off to the water tomorrow to see if it'll go.

nice!! yea it takes a bit to get the gas pumped through if u disconnect it. Hope it keeps up i wanted to take mine out after having new crank seals installed and the rain is constant this past week and isnt looking any better this weekend Good luck and hope for the best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information