+1

How much oil in crankcase? XLT1200

I'm about to install my fresh #3 cylinder/piston.. I tilted ski back and wiped/soaked up the little bit of oil that was in the case and on the crank.. How much oil should I put back in the crankcase before I start this thing up for the first time? There wasn't much in there to soak up.. Maybe half a cup or so..

+1
    I hope you cleaned out the crankcase real good from any debris from whatever happened. I like to use carb or brake cleaner, spray all around and down the bearing holes and rod bearing area, then sop up any debris in the bottom with paper towels. I fold them over into rectangles, and use the crank throw to turn them one revolution around the bottom. When they come up clean you should be good to go. Then drip oil down the crank bearing holes, around the crank/rod bearings, rotate, repeat untill you are sure the bearings are coated well with oil. Check the oil that runs into the bottom again to be sure it is clean and no debris. You do not need or want a bunch of oil in the bottom. If everything is coated, then just a tiny little puddle is more than enough.

+1
    Thanks for the info.. Actually in my case there was no damage.. It was a perfectly fine ski and someone stole the exhaust pipe and the #3 cylinder.. So no debris but there was a tad bit of water in the oil.. I soaked up the old oil and poured in about a cup of diesel, turned the crank a few times back and forth, pumped out the diesel and repeated that 3 times.. then i poured in enough oil to submerge half the crank, turned the crank a few times and pumped the oil out.. it looks spic n span in there so i think i'm good to go.. So you think like 3 or 4 oz of oil in the case is good?

+1
    No, that much oil can create a chance of hydrolock if it gets into the top end all at once, which it could do by the crank counterwieghts slinging it. You do not need a pool of oil in the crankcase, just everything wet with oil. Not to mention it would smoke like a mosquito fogger for an hour with that much oil in it.

+1
    LOL.. good to know.. I will pump out the oil just before my cylinder install.. I'm gonna leave it be for right now so everything is nice and lubed when I get my cylinder back.. Thanks..

Thread Information