2000 1200 GPR Running issues

Ski: 2000 Yamaha 1200 GPR - 105 hours – Stock ski in good shape. Speedo says 69 on top speed when running (never checked on GPS).

I blew the middle cylinder three years ago. In took two years to take the motor apart, purchase new pistons and rings, and do the top end rebuild. I spent way too much at Yamaha to have them block of the carbs and move fuel to a premix. The motor then sat for a year because the lakes near me ran dry due to the drought.

Earlier this season finally took the ski out to break it in. Would not run on the ½ throttle setting when I tried moving the motor up from the ¼ throttle break in. I got one full burst of speed at half throttle, but that was it and a pretty good throttle response when loading it back on the trailer. I could not get over 4000 RPM during my attempt at break in.

Back to local Yamaha dealer thinking they would stand behind their work. Wrong. They say the ski sat to long without running. So they now do another compression check and they say I am at 100 psi on a rebuild, does that sound correct this quick after a rebuild and the boat only being run for a break in? Why should I be at 100 psi on all three pistons?

I hate to spend more money on this ski but I do not want to sell it for parts, or sell it and it be a five dollar part.

Do I take the entire motor apart again to get to the carbs and have them rebuilt? What about the 100 psi on the compression?

I am in the Houston, Texas area and if you know of a reasonable shop I will be willing to take advice. I really like the ski because it is fast.

+1
    wfo performance, rich is an awesome guy to deal with.

+1
    The compression on all three is consistent and that is good if you were 20 pis are more difference you should be concerned. The thing we don't know is was the gauge correct or did the guy perform the compression test properly.
    Things you can check before you haul to to a shop if you haven't already done so is replace all the old fuel with a good grade fuel/ make sure the power valves are cycling charcoal the spark plugs replace fuel filter.

It sat for three years without being run....was their fuel in the tank? You mean they blocked off the oil injection. The carbs are probably gummed up and need rebuilt. They can gum up over winter so I can only imagine what three years would do to them. Draining the gas and putting in fresh premix probably isnt a bad idea either.

Yes the ski sat for three years but that was during the rebuild. I had Yamaha redo the carbs May of 2011, I added fresh new fuel in may of 2012. So the ski sat for a summer and winter. Based on what I hear I guess I will tear the exhaust all off again, and rebuild the carbs again.

Diznasty
    It sat for three years without being run....was their fuel in the tank? You mean they blocked off the oil injection. The carbs are probably gummed up and need rebuilt. They can gum up over winter so I can only imagine what three years would do to them. Draining the gas and putting in fresh premix probably isnt a bad idea either.
    I drained the old gas and and yes they blocked off the oil injection. Ski sat for 12 months after the rebuild. (Shame on me but we had no water in the local lakes)(I did not want to run in saltwater).

mudslanger
    The compression on all three is consistent and that is good if you were 20 pis are more difference you should be concerned. The thing we don't know is was the gauge correct or did the guy perform the compression test properly.
    Things you can check before you haul to to a shop if you haven't already done so is replace all the old fuel with a good grade fuel/ make sure the power valves are cycling charcoal the spark plugs replace fuel filter.

I will pick up the ski today from the dealer and check compression myself. I am by no means a mechianic but I will check the power valves ----

Please keep the information coming. Like I said I enjoy this ski when it runs and I really want to have some fun on the water this summer. First time in three years were are not involved in select softball.

Thread Information