Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

any Floridian purchasing 250X extended warranty?

Hear extended warranty is treated as insurance in FL so it is regulated and we need to purchase from FL dealership, but then I hear alot of people purchase out of state for significant savings.

Any recommendation where I can purchase a 4 yr extended warranty and how much?

Thanks,

+1

I'm interested too

I'll call Kawasaki tomorrow and see what they say on these state laws.

Seems to me a warranty is a warranty, nothing to do with insurance regulations. Think of all the cars bought other places and brought to
    FL.

+1
    If you purchase it in FL the warranty work in insured by a different company, not Kawi. Check out the warranty section on Kawasaki.com. for details on the FL warranty coverage. But there is no law saying that you have to buy it from a FL dealer at sticker price. We live in the United States of America where there is a Free Market Economy. Prices are set by supply and demand not mandated by illegal government intervention. You can purchase the extended warranty from any Kawi dealer anywhere in the USA. The ski will be covered nationwide and that includes FL (Last I heard FL is still part of the US, although by all the "illegal" laws on the books, the politicians here don't seem to think so !!) My friend purchased his Ultra 150 in Canada and bought the warranty there too. He just brought it in for work and he is getting a complete new engine from a FL dealer...all covered under his Canadian warranty !!

I can get the extended 48 mo warranty (5 years total) for $695 from the VA dealer I had arranged for the group buy with. I don't know if it is the best price or not because I haven't shopped around. I'm not one who normally purchases warranties. I cring at the thought of having the dealer touch anything....would rather do it myself.

Richard
    Last edited by way2fast; 01-22-2007 at 09:00 PM.

I was roughed up a bit when I said this same thing some time ago. I was told my dealer was ripping me off. Seems my dealer was telling the truth about regulated insurance rates.

Oh well no need to be all upset, even if way2fast was wrong. Just messing with ya.

Let me know about the cheaper warranty and I might follow you guys on that one.

Way2Fast said:
    "Even if some FL dealers believe they are bound by some fictitious FL law that says all FL dealers must sell the warranty at MSRP, there is nothing stopping anyone from purchasing the warranty out of state. It can be purchased in any of the 50 states and is honored in all of them.

The US has a free market economy. No manufacturer can demand that any of their dealers must sell at a fixed price. That is why the MSRP is just that...Manufacturers SUGGESTED Retail Price. Same for the State of FL. It's against Federal Law for them to set prices.

Every company that sells insurance in FL, be it homeowners, auto, health, product warranty etc, charges a different rate. There is no uniform rate code the companies have to use. The smart shopper shops around for the best deal on insurance policies. I think the idea that the state controls the cost of warranty coverage was hatched by stealer dealers who want to pocket the entire 100% profit mark up they make on extended warranties!! So much for honest dealers !!! I'm probably going to buy my extended warranty on the Ultra from the VA dealer, or maybe Shibby's dealer if the price is right. I might organize a "buyers group" on the extended warranty. There is strength and savings in numbers." END OF QUOTE

Sorry just had too, it tickles me to look back at how you got so upset and attacked the Fl Dealers.

Regardless lets find the cheapest warranty from any dealer. Hopfully we can do it though the mail. Hope we dont get pinned with, Ya gotta buy the warranty in the you purchased the ski.
    Last edited by Skips313; 01-23-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: found the old statements to add

+1
    Fl Stealers are happy as a pig in sheet to think they can get full boat for warranty coverage. It puts more money into their pockets. It doesn't matter to them that the "law" (if there actually is one which I still doubt) in FL saying the state has complete control of the prices on warranties is completely illegal and would not stand in Federal court. The dealers surely would do nothing to contest this "law" !!

I wonder why the illegal practice in FL of setting the rates for extended PWC warranties doesn't apply to automobile dealers. Maybe the state doesn't want to get involved with the Big Boys !!

Richard

It is applicable to automobiles. I have 2 honda automobiles and I don't have extended warranties because I don't want to pay 100% more than out of state people. So people are lucky enough to get away with it while others are not (I am trying to be lucky).

The law was suppose to protect the elderly from getting ripped off by offer one price, but my gosh, seems like BS from politicians helping the insurance company. This turns out to rip off all the people in FL.

Below is from curryhondacare.com

The rate tables below outline the different plans and coverage available for your Odyssey. To choose a plan, simply click the select button below the price. It's that easy!

Florida residents cannot purchase from this site. Please check with your local dealer. Applications with Florida addresses will be rejected.

I wonder why the illegal practice in FL of setting the rates for extended PWC warranties doesn't apply to automobile dealers. Maybe the state doesn't want to get involved with the Big Boys !!

Richard[/quote]

+1
    [quote=creativepuzzle;203066]It is applicable to automobiles. I have 2 honda automobiles and I don't have extended warranties because I don't want to pay 100% more than out of state people. So people are lucky enough to get away with it while others are not (I am trying to be lucky).

The law was suppose to protect the elderly from getting ripped off by offer one price, but my gosh, seems like BS from politicians helping the insurance company. This turns out to rip off all the people in FL.

Honda...it figures. I purchased a 2007 Saturn Sky and the dealer was willing to barter the warranty price to get me to purchase it.
    How could FL demand a set price on warranty coverage when home insurance, health insurance etc rates vary so much in price? Tell me that they are really concerned about what the little old ladies pay !!! Bastards !

Richard

+1
    There is more than one way to skin a cat....short of taking this illegal case of "price fixing" to Federal court...If anyone runs into a problem getting warranty coverage out of state just use a friend or relatives address who doesn't live in Flori-dah and have the policy sent there. Problem solved. Once you have it, the warranty coverage is good in all 50 states with no exceptions.

The salesman at a local PWC/motorcycle dealership told me that he purchased his motorcycle extended warranty off the internet because it was so much cheaper.

Richard
    Last edited by way2fast; 01-23-2007 at 01:03 PM.

+1
    Any manufacture issiues a warranty on their product. The warranty can be time--or time and mileage ( in the cases of motor vehicles ). Now--same manufactures can and do issure (sell ) a SERVICE CONTACT. Aftermarket companies also sell SERVICE CONTRACTS. Like an orginal warranty--they are time or time and mileage--or hours sesative. HOWEVER--all these SERVICE CONTRACTS are insurance policies--not to be confused with orginal manufactors warranties. What has become confusing thru the years is that alot of the people whio sell these (to include new car dealers--new PWC dealers--other places like Sears & Robuck--Best Products--etc--refere to them has extended warranties which they are not. They are SERVICE CONTRACTS---insurances policies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Any manufacture issiues a warranty on their product. The warranty can be time--or time and mileage ( in the cases of motor vehicles ). Now--same manufactures can and do issure (sell ) a SERVICE CONTACT. Aftermarket companies also sell SERVICE CONTRACTS. Like an orginal warranty--they are time or time and mileage--or hours sesative. HOWEVER--all these SERVICE CONTRACTS are insurance policies--not to be confused with orginal manufactors warranties. What has become confusing thru the years is that alot of the people whio sell these (to include new car dealers--new PWC dealers--other places like Sears & Robuck--Best Products--etc--refere to them has extended warranties which they are not. They are SERVICE CONTRACTS---insurances policies.

So just change the wording I used from extended warranty to service contract, extended insurance coverage or Kawi Good Time Protection Plan. What is the difference? They still have a Suggested Retail Price. The seller can under cut that price at his discretion. While insurance companies need permission to raise rates in FL (what a joke...they own the politicians), they sure don't need approval to LOWER RATES. Why do you think most people shop around for insurance coverage...to get the best policy for the least cost.

Richard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information